It already works. If it hasn't lived up to expectations from the p.o.v. of the retail tenants, a condo will do absolutely nothing to change that, other than possibly reducing the tourist appeal of the overall district now that part of it will be sacrificed for gratuitous development. It's a national historic site...nothing is expendable.

The tower that is now being built is nicely in scale, with a podium that creates an interesting path between it and the old buildings to the south, adopting and enhancing the character of low buildings and narrow walkways in the original factory complex. The other proposed buildings are working their way through the approval process and promise to do much the same.

Rack House 'M' doesn't "work" unless your concept of working includes maintaining a derelict, useless, windowless structure and preventing something useful and attractive from replacing it.

The condo units are for housing. Retail will evolve here, just as retail evolves everywhere else.

It remains a national historic site.

Woo woo!

Hey Hey Everyone!

Look I am a future tenant of this apparently grotesque development (pure spirits) and to be quite honest you guys are taking the fun out of my first home buyer experience:(

That said, I agree phase one is a bit overwhelming, but lets not judge till its completely done. either way whats done is done. As for phase two I think that these will be amazing additions to the district and what we must remember is that it is at the far east end of the district very close to Cherry st. and unlike phase one It will be a sleek tower(s) which will bring life/attention to an area that till now many are still unaware of. So bottom line lets take it easy and trust the designers/planners who are paid the big bucks to make this work.:eek:

Thanks,

Hey Hey Everyone!

Look I am a future tenant of this apparently grotesque development (pure spirits) and to be quite honest you guys are taking the fun out of my first home buyer experience:(

Look, we debate projects all the time here, proposals, U/Cs, finished. And plenty of other people buy into or live in buildings that are slagged much worse than Pure Spirit. (Star of Downtown anyone?)

Most of the debate, if you read it, is about the site plan and what should and should not go into the district, not so much the tower design themselves. I like the designs (especially Clear Spirit) but don't think they belong right where they are planned.

You are certainly entitled to get in the debate and make your opinion heard (which you do in the next paragraph). Just don't ask for censorship of what other people say because you might think it is negative, unless it goes into unacceptable territory, like slander or attacks on character, or if someone is trolling.

Look, we debate projects all the time here, proposals, U/Cs, finished. And plenty of other people buy into or live in buildings that are slagged much worse than Pure Spirit. (Star of Downtown anyone?)

Most of the debate, if you read it, is about the site plan and what should and should not go into the district, not so much the tower design themselves. I like the designs (especially Clear Spirit) but don't think they belong right where they are planned.

You are certainly entitled to get in the debate and make your opinion heard (which you do in the next paragraph). Just don't ask for censorship of what other people say because you might think it is negative, unless it goes into unacceptable territory, like slander or attacks on character, or if someone is trolling.

I am assuming you took what I wrote a bit too serious. It was not my intention at all. I actually enjoy these debates and they make my day go by very quick so by all means do not take my comments to heart as they are not my intention. So lets continue with the opinions and debates. I cant wait to see the end result of the development and see how the forum will change once the project has finished:D

The tower that is now being built is nicely in scale, with a podium that creates an interesting path between it and the old buildings to the south, adopting and enhancing the character of low buildings and narrow walkways in the original factory complex.

Well, we'll never agree then. I don't see it being nicely scaled at all; just the opposite.

I am assuming you took what I wrote a bit too serious. It was not my intention at all. I actually enjoy these debates and they make my day go by very quick so by all means do not take my comments to heart as they are not my intention. So lets continue with the opinions and debates. I cant wait to see the end result of the development and see how the forum will change once the project has finished:D

Oh my. It was hard to tell, and I am glad that you enjoy the debate. I certainly enjoy it as well (sometimes even the silly bits). As I said, the proof will be in the pudding, but I have many reservations at this point. I'd like to think I will be pleasantly surprised, but I have a lot of doubts.

The tower that is now being built is nicely in scale

Nicely in scale with other downtown skyscrapers, not the buildings that surround it. You obviously have no idea what the word scale means, or are using it in the wrong context. The podium is in scale, but not the tower.

Smaller than many downtown skyscrapers, actually. Given the size of the site, the width, breadth and height of the existing buildings and of the podium buildings that are being added, and the walkways between the buildings, the condo tower that has already been built is indeed in proportion and scale; I'd expect that the other towers - once they've gone through the usual approval-process-dance between the City and the developer - will be as well.

Smaller than many downtown skyscrapers, actually. Given the size of the site, the width, breadth and height of the existing buildings and of the podium buildings that are being added, and the walkways between the buildings, the condo tower that has already been built is indeed in proportion and scale; I'd expect that the other towers - once they've gone through the usual approval-process-dance between the City and the developer - will be as well.

Well said! BRAVO!

:p

If anyone cares to see where a skyscraper is intended to fit on a postage stamp sized lot visit the south east corner of Bay and Adelaide just north of the National Club.

Yes, that's right next to an existing skyscraper, with one going up across the street. And a whole bunch more are in the immediate vicinity.

Indeed, a different part of town entirely from the Distillery District, so we can add Jarrek's description, "Nicely in scale with other downtown skyscrapers" to the growing list of failed links without interchangeability either in built form, history, use, or purpose to the one that this thread is about.

Back