I was asking about Metro mans lights, I'm aware of the colour kinetix crap they used on the tower.
Maybe you're not aware of this, but there are multiple protocols for DMX over ethernet, such as ArtNet.
A wireless transmitter isn't needed, just use an internet connection.
A simple pre defined trigger and any of the free, multi universe software packages could be interfaced with the towers controller.
I am aware, but knowing the product in use at the tower and that the CK software used doesn't generate a DMX signal at all, it doesn't matter what lights MM uses if they are anything other than CK compatible. Unfortunately, they built their systems using proprietary technology for a reason.

You are right that you could send that signal by a number of ethernet protocols and be accessible over the internet, but even if the tower did want to broadcast this signal, it would only be that special variant of Color Kinetics fixtures that it would work with, as not all CK fixtures even use the same control systems.

It's a nice idea, though, and since the system already relies on ethernet for communication, wouldn't be hard to do - be it wireless or internet based.

I am aware, but knowing the product in use at the tower and that the CK software used doesn't generate a DMX signal at all, it doesn't matter what lights MM uses if they are anything other than CK compatible. Unfortunately, they built their systems using proprietary technology for a reason.

You are right that you could send that signal by a number of ethernet protocols and be accessible over the internet, but even if the tower did want to broadcast this signal, it would only be that special variant of Color Kinetics fixtures that it would work with, as not all CK fixtures even use the same control systems.

It's a nice idea, though, and since the system already relies on ethernet for communication, wouldn't be hard to do - be it wireless or internet based.

The lights don't have to be compatible with CK protocol, nor DMX..

There are a number of products available that convert DMX to CK protocol...not that it matters.
As previously mentioned, all that is needed is a 'scene' protocol...this can be anything...even proprietary....it's lighting control, not brain surgery ;)

Last edited:
How artistic is a single line of LED's anyway?
That was sort of my point in the Trump thread, but IIRC I was called a Philistine for questioning the artistic merit of something a programmer was going to do on his behalf anyways.

Still, you'd think it would be done by now. My hunch is that they either bough junk product, a dispute over programming, or they haven't paid their bills and it can't be commissioned until the standoff over payment is resolved. Again - just hunches - no info on it at all.

That was sort of my point in the Trump thread, but IIRC I was called a Philistine for questioning the artistic merit of something a programmer was going to do on his behalf anyways.

The core clique here is powerful.

Re. Trump...it's a line of RGB leds. It would have been cutting edge 15 years ago.
Chamsys magicQ PC software can do pixel mapping on 12 universes of DMX, and it's free....anyone can do this stuff these days. ;)

The funny thing is that the CN tower lights are actually incredibly inefficient (for LEDs). Only 20 lumens per watt. That was top of the line in 2005, but now there are LED products beyond 100 lumens per watt.

The funny thing is that the CN tower lights are actually incredibly inefficient (for LEDs). Only 20 lumens per watt. That was top of the line in 2005, but now there are LED products beyond 100 lumens per watt.

Email the tower and let them know. Maybe they will upgrade?

Not really given the fact it was an April Fools joke

Not really given the fact it was an April Fools joke

Maybe the UT post was an april fools joke but both City and Global said that the CN Tower would get a paint job.
I wonder if they just got misinformed from the twitter talk or they know something else.

I predict these won't last very long. They don't seem too sturdy. I went over and gave one of those lights a shake and they seem very wobbly. I'm sure as soon as a child jumps on one of them, they will snap off their base quite easily.

As expected, these didn't last long ...

IMG_4749.jpg

But they now look like this:

IMG_5004.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_4749.jpg
    IMG_4749.jpg
    305.4 KB · Views: 1,520
  • IMG_5004.jpg
    IMG_5004.jpg
    741.9 KB · Views: 1,532
Theres too much grey concrete in this area with the CN tower, Skydome, and even the aquarium as well. Its funny how Toronto has areas of too much concrete like here and then areas of too much glass like city place lool. I like the aquarium, though it could have been done a bit better.

Back