Still in Toronto but some other projects look way better, PJ Condos, 19 Duncan, etc. etc. I think it's just this developer doesn't care to contribute to architecture skyline views. Just the cheapest bare minimum to get money
That's true of so many projects in the city unfortunately :rolleyes:

At least I'm not pretending Toronto can realistically rival the likes of Dubai or Billionaires' Row. Toronto will NEVER be a traditionally 10/10 sexy city. Not unless you can somehow elongate James Bay and connect it to lake Ontario. Or, alternatively, lower Wasaga Beach to Newmarket. Whichever is easier. And in my experience, cities that don't score a 10 in natural geography, DON"t have stellar architecture. Because money follows natural beauty. And not just in real estate ;)

If I can't afford a 1 Bdm in this building, how can I even contemplate affording something in a more attractive building? I would live in this building if the price were right for the average Toronto resident currently. It seems perfectly acceptable in design IF, and that's a big IF, the price was right.

However, if what's preventing Toronto from doing better design-wise is corruption, both on the developer and city sides, then of course I would encourage everyone on the forum to call out the leeches. That's a no-brainer.
I get your other city comparisons but Dubai is one ugly mofo. It looks tacky and it's also boring as hell.

Canada House looks like the other uninspired, low-grade condo buildings throughout the city, though I'm with you in that I think it's at least far from the worst.

Did you design this or something??? Never seen anyone get so defensive about heaping pile crap before...lol.
When even cmac is flaming your take you know it’s a bad take.

Also the mentality that Toronto is not a beautiful or world class city so we shouldn’t expect much is the exact reason we get crappy buildings in the first place. A lack of pride in the city just breeds more bland and tasteless projects

It doesn't help that this monstrosity is located so close to the Dome.
...now there are...er, "some" on that Roger's Reno thread that argue the Dome is a monstrosity too, so it could be these towers are in good company. 😼

I think the biggest mistake is trying to compare this city with others. Whether it's in envy, false equivalency, self-loathing or what not... Sure, there are some aspects where another city might do something better. And we should adapt that. But Toronto is it's own thing...and so we should stay focused on that, despite all it's faults, IMO.

Getting back to this building, though...while I'll agree that this may be one Concord's best in execution and materials, it's still pretty mediocre arsed grey glass boxes with a maple leaf slapped on each side for the gimmick, sitting on top of a janky'gantic podium that takes up way too much space. And that opinion won't likely change no matter how hard the finger is wagged at me. /shrug
A false equivalency? Oh please, we're talking casual architectural feel not rocket science. I attempted to be fair in comparison and suggested comparing TO to Chicago. Please name one better city to compare to and name 1 building there you find inspirational or that you vibe with.

You all have one main issue: no clear benchmarks. What city is doing it better than us? What buildings? I'll give you a hint: major coastline cities in Australia give TO architecture a run for its money with their new developments. Toronto is not so special that it can somehow develop a unique architectural microcosm, unnafected by design trends worldwide. That is the biggest fallacy here.

As for envy and self loathing - did i even attempt to conceal that? Duh, you can bet your condo that i am extremely envious when it comes to actually living in a city with a real coastline and sunshine. Sun, sand, sea and sex...Isn't that what everyone on here is ultimately after or we will pretend that old rich intellectual Canadians retire and die off without Miami or South America or the mesmerizing Mediterranean ever entering their imaginations and deep wallets?

Without sounding disrespectful, you are probably native and have no idea how freaking depressing TO felt to a foreigner like myself coming here in the early 2000s. I had never seen such brutalistic ugly architecture ever before in my life. Did i mention brutal winter weather? Coming from a poor country, at least we tried to paint our crappy 1 story houses or 5 storie ussr communist era residences in humane colors. Colors that make you feel human. Yes, including shades of pink.

The main reason why I am defending this project is because i am pretty sure TO has come quite a ways in at least slapping some color to its sterile, deprived, soul crushing and mind altering brutalism. I don't know if I can call TO an ugly duckling but am no longer calling it a gritty asylum in land of Dracula.

Last edited:
The irony in your post is that every city you listed has horrendous architecture. Specific to North America, Miami is the only other city I know of that spams window wall balcony riddled condos the way Toronto does (Vancouver is in a distant 3rd place).

With that said, I actually think that this project turned out far better than I expected. IMO, these towers are better than the work aA is putting out a little to the East.
Please enlighten me with examples of tasty residential buildings. Could be the coastlines that is warping my sense of beauty ;) Hmmm let's see, how about Bentley or Aston Martin Residences and 1000 Museum all in Miami? Comparing Aston Martin Residences to 10 York is like comparing an Aston Martin to Toyota bz

Last edited:
His example…Dubai. “City” of falsehoods, slave labour, and trash architecture.
Exactly what does slave labour have to do with architectural esthetics? Please think before replying. Falsehoods as in what? Technology to turn a deserted land into a bustling tourist spot? That's more impressive than TO's Ontario place project in my book. Sorry.

Last edited:
Did you design this or something??? Never seen anyone get so defensive about heaping pile crap before...lol.
I wish i did 😂. It is still much better than vintage condos in TO that give new comers here erectile disfunction.

Last edited:
To all above who think Dubai architecture is trash: I introduce to you Buggati Residences. Enjoy the view. Please keep it honest and don't crap on the project like a fox on sour grapes 😎.

Now that is why I am a realist in my expectations from Toronto. It's a cute city at most, in its own deprived way.. not hot. But then again, the hottie is not always the one you want to go home to...

I give Canada House a well deserved 7/10. Maybe even 7.5, (With The One being nearly 10/10 by TO standards.) Urban Toronto should really work on a feature where each user can rate a project live on the project file, and be able to change the rating based on how they currently feel on the project progress/excecution. That way we could see a live valuation for each project.

I shall rest my case and shut up for good now. Apologies for any spelling errors, am typing on my phone.

Last edited:
Good to see you raging away at 4 in the morning. You're making a lot of friends here.
Exactly what does slave labour have to do with architectural esthetics? Please think before replying. Falsehoods as in what? Technology to turn a deserted land into a bustling tourist spot? That's more impressive than TO's Ontario place project in my book. Sorry.
Oh I don't know, I guess if you can build for cheap with no labour laws or human rights considerations, you can get any esthetic you want, even if it's still tacky as F? Surely you can make the connection between what you think is 'luxury architecture', and not paying for labour to build said architecture? Please think before responding. Perhaps you have no qualms with the process taken to build that garbage fire of a fiefdom. Not sure if you know about this, but in this country we tend to pay for people to build things for us.

What technology? Let me know when Dubai has working human waste facilities. I feel like that should be a starting point for any city that purports 'superior technology'. Dubai is more a desert mirage than anything. Their islands are sinking, and they are moving feces around in trucks. It is a feudal state with a lot of ugly buildings and fake people, not much to get excited about. But hey, if you're easily fooled by things that sparkle, I have some diamonds to sell you.
I shall rest my case and shut up for good now.
I wish you would. We'd all be better off not being tarnished by your "high architectural aesthetic". All of your examples above are tripe. Fake renderings to be built for suckers who think parking a Bugatti in their living room makes them "sophisticated".

1701793448139.png
1701793712057.png

Source:

Back