This development turned out better than I expected. I drove by last night and tried counting the stories, I believe it's around the 60th floor mark. The closing date of October 2024 for the shorter building is coming up quickly. What concerns me is the other side of these buildings, I can't seem to be able to identify the other maple leaf. I hope they're still working on that because it would be a bummer if it turns out looking like abstract art with no direction.
20231224_211708.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231225_084740_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231225_084740_Gallery.jpg
    616.4 KB · Views: 31
This development turned out better than I expected. I drove by last night and tried counting the stories, I believe it's around the 60th floor mark. The closing date of October 2024 for the shorter building is coming up quickly. What concerns me is the other side of these buildings, I can't seem to be able to identify the other maple leaf. I hope they're still working on that because it would be a bummer if it turns out looking like abstract art with no direction.View attachment 529649
Nice, best shot I've seen of the design.
I'm hoping the leaves light up once completed.

Has anyone heard through the grapevine of any commercial tenants that are interested in setting up shop at this new development? It would be interesting to know which companies are entertaining that idea. I reckon it could help improve the marketability of this property with popular brands/chains operating in this space.

I wish we did more large podiums, with multi-level retail a la Hong Kong, but that kind of thing just doesn't pencil here unfortunately.
I like what's happening at The Well. The Eaton Centre in its day being an above ground integrated shopping center with towers, left its mark, however not sure how many of these types of arrangements the downtown can support. The key here for me is architecture supporting public engagement. For developers who don't strive for this type of arrangement, I'll take a Mies van der Rohe knock off over a poorly concealed above ground parking garage every time. Really impressed with Yonge St below Bloor, with the tall towers in the rear, and the storefronts retained and restored.

For CItyPlace these are pretty alright. Definitely no signature tower though.
But, I do think the height does add to the area for sure.

Back