^^^This point I agree with, parks need better design keeping in mind easy or difficulty of maintaining certain features. As for litter - I just might not be seeing them but I don't recall even seeing a garbage can at Sherboure Common (I'd say that qualifies as poor planning right out of the gate...)

^^^This point I agree with, parks need better design keeping in mind easy or difficulty of maintaining certain features. As for litter - I just might not be seeing them but I don't recall even seeing a garbage can at Sherboure Common (I'd say that qualifies as poor planning right out of the gate...)
There are several rather well designed garbage cans at Sherbourne Common.

Photos taken 6 December 2012

IMG_1552_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1561_1-XL.jpg

IMG_1560_1-XL.jpg

This from West Don Lands Construction Liaison Committee, February 2013.
http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/wdl_clc_meeting_minutes_feb_26__2013_final_1.pdf

The opening of the tunnel under the railroad (Bala Underpass) may occur as soon as July 1, 2013. This will allow access to the dry side of the FPL portion of the Don Rive Park. Access from Bayview/River Streets at Lawren Harris Square would be open at the same time providing a through-route from park visitors. Access from Cherry Street will not occur until after the Pan/ParaPan Am Games.

This from march 27 CEO Report

Don River Park – Waterfront Toronto awaits transfer of the wet side from Infrastructure Ontario (“IO”) in order to complete the park improvements. We have engaged the local Councilor and Community Council to support a naming competition for the park. A final decision will be made after the Community Council meeting April 9, 2013.

Oh, great news. Thanks, DSC. Was hoping for a naming competition like WT did for the winning name of "Sherbourne Common".

I have a few suggestions in mind here :cool:

Passed by TEYCC today:

That Toronto and East York Community Council:

1. Authorize a public competition to select the name for "Don River Park" located in the West Don Lands neighbourhood, between Bayview Avenue and the GO/CN railroad lines, from King Street to the rail corridor in the south, with the judging criteria respecting the City's parameters for naming parks;

2. Direct the General Manager of Parks, Forestry and Recreation to report back to Toronto and East York Community Council on the results of the public competition to formally name the park.

3. Direct the General Manager of Parks, Forestry and Recreation to report back, at the same time as the results of the public competition for Don River Park, on the official naming of River Square to Lawren Harris Square, respecting the City's parameters for naming parks

Me too. Supplied the worst name ever but it honours a slice of Toronto history that "inhabited" this wasteland for quite a while. If anyone is interested I'll... oh nevermind.

But no "Canary" spins from me.

Eventual winner:
1. canary landing
2. canary place
3. canary nest
4. canary, canary
5. can-airy park

I think 3D and I must have hit the same key... Could it be a certain industry that inspired one of Toronto's nicknames?

The fence was open yesterday morning so the dog and I took the opportunity to look around. The park looks great (and of course, pristine and unused). The views west are really cool, and, of course, novel.

Back