This from September WT Board minutes:

"Substantial completion of the dry side of Don River Park is targeted for year end. However, the east (“wet”) side of the park will not be provided
to the Corporation until Spring 2012 at the earliest. This will delay opening of the east side of the park until the end of 2012 but the west side
of the park will be open in the Spring of 2012 in order to meet community and City expectations."

Last edited:
`
wdlo23.jpg

These photos are of the formal square that connects the Underpass Park with the Don River Park across Bayview.

IMG1511-L.jpg

IMG1515-L.jpg

I wouldn't have been able to place those photos as being from Toronto. I'm looking forward to exploring the new parks in the spring

I guess they didn't quite continue the quality from Sherborne park here ... referring to the benches.

The Sherbourne benches would have looked a bit overwrought in this more urban context.

Good point, I'll by that ... you have to admit the benches around sugar beech are amazing !

When does Don River Park open to the public?

(Can't wait to check it out!)

When does Don River Park open to the public?

(Can't wait to check it out!)

WT told me in November it would open as soon as Bayview was reopened and that this was scheduled for end-December. They clearly missed this deadline but contractors were busily putting up streetlights last week nd the new traffic lights at King and River are almost done so it's getting closer. By mid-February?

They continue to install lights and today were busily preparing to pour sidewlks along the new section of Bayview. (Yes, it`s January!) Clearly they are trying to get it opened. The November WDL Construction Liaison Committee Meeting minutes say:

River / Bayview
 Road construction is ongoing.
 Public opening of Bayview Avenue North, River Square and River Street is scheduled
for early 2012. King/Queen triangle to be demolished immediately thereafter. A
detour will be put in place for local traffic; the closure and re-routing is being sorted
out with the City.
 IO will update the CLC once the new schedule has been received and details of the
detour are available.

WT Jan 25 Board Meeting Photo Update:

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/january_2012_board_photos_1.pdf

Note the slides on "No Shoes" towards the end of the PDF - more info from the CEO report:

We now have a full-time Public Art Program Manager on staff. A letter of agreement has gone to
the City for installation of the restored No Shoes sculpture by preeminent American modern
sculptor, Mark Di Suvero. Waterfront Toronto is coordinating installation and the selected siting of
the piece will fulfill the Mill St Gateway opportunity identified in the West Don Lands (“WDL”) Public
Art Strategy. Waterfront Toronto is expecting to pay $200-300K to install the work which is
estimated to be worth approximately $9M. Installation is anticipated in May/June 2012. Waterfront
Toronto is drafting a Public Art Plan for EBF, which will pool % for art contributions at prominent
public locations to create signature pieces. The artwork for Underpass Park is moving into
production with anticipated completion by the end of April 2012.

http://www.waterfrontoronto.ca/uploads/documents/ceo_report___public_1.pdf (p.2)

AoD

Last edited:
"They" have started road marking on the new section of Bayview and on the new Lower River Street and STOP signs are being erected today. In addition they have just about finished fencing off the new roads from the railway trackand the construction areas. There are also new "Diversion D2" signs posted in the area and I think it clear that "any day now' the road from Bayview to King/Queen will be blocked off and traffic will use the new roads. As soon as the roads opens we will be able to get to the Don River Park. (The side nearest the river will not open until fall 2012, when the link under the railway to the Don River trail will open. At last!

Back