I think I started the 1 Yonge maligning. I didn't mean to criticize the building-in-itself, as it might very well hold to a certain Brutalist ideal. I also recognize the historic significance of the building, in being really the first outpost of business (commercial, suits and ties business) and culture on the waterfront. I just thought it was ridiculous for Hume to use the Star to criticize the way Corus fits into the urban fabric given the way that 1 Yonge fits into the burgeoning urban fabric on the waterfront today.

In some ways the two developments are very analogous cases, and Corus can almost be seen as a direct response to the design philosophy that 1 Yonge brought to the waterfront. Like 1 Yonge it's the pioneer is a perceived wasteland, but it's low-rise, glassy, and playful, with a welcoming environment and big overhead doors that open the building to the precinct. It isn't even so much about the building as it is about the programming of the building.

corus1b.jpg

corus3b.jpg

Awesome shots! :) As always.

Does anyone have any shots of the Dockside Drive facade, or the entrance/retail area, where the cafe is located?

I've seen it in person but I wanted to clarify my memory on some details without heading all the way down there today.

Thanks in advance! :)

Direction to Corus Quay

Anyone has an idea how I can get to dockside dr using public transportation. Thanks

^ You can either take the Bay St. bus which will drop you outside the Loblaws at QQ & Jarvis or the Sherbourne bus which will drop you right across from Corus.

Thanks androiduk for the quick response. I'm quite new to the city so bear with me. which of the directions offer a shorter trip to Corus. The bay st. bus or the sherbourne. Also I'm assuming when I get to Bay/sherbourne subway, I can get help finding the right bus. Thank you.

No problem dt007. Both buses start from the Bloor subway and go south. The Sherbourne bus is faster. You can find out about all transit routes here at the TTC website; http://www3.ttc.ca/

You should also try the TTC Trip Planner on the page noted, it gives times so you can compare but I bet the Sherbourne bus is fastest - you get it outside the Sherbourne Station (on other side of the street) so you need a transfer and it will drop you on Queens Quay just opposite Corus.

From this week's Broadcast Dialogue...

Corus Entertainment CEO John Cassaday says the Shaw acquisition of Canwest Global’s broadcast assets presents an option for Shaw to, at some point, make a move to consolidate the Corus and Global TV et al assets.

If so, this would likely mean an expansion of Corus Quay and CanWest/Alliance Atlantis' Bloor Street E facilities all joining the rest of Corus/ShawMedia at Queen's Quay. Perhaps even Global Toronto's Don Mills studios would be joined at the Quay as well.

Last edited:
Is there any provision to expand the Corus Quay building? I suppose there is the site just to the north west for another building-- who owns that location?

Back