MetroMan; do not bait. There is another thread available for your monotonous drone regarding that building. Anymore posts in this thread not specifically about First Waterfront Place will be deleted.

Lots of equipment can be found on site... looks like they are steaming ahead despite recent setbacks.

pier27.jpg

Sweet. Now let's hope for good design changes, back to the tasteful original.

I am surprised we have not heard anything about what the panel said this time? Not one paper has had a story on it, besides the fact that there was to be a meeting scheduled to see the latest changes.

p5

today's star:
An improved design, but still not great TheStar.com - GTA - An improved design, but still not great
January 31, 2008
Vanessa Lu
City hall bureau chief
Waterfront Toronto has accepted the latest design for Corus Entertainment's headquarters, ruling it's better, though still not the best it could be.
The waterfront board yesterday released $4.5 million of the $9 million earmarked for design excellence for the $150 million project the Toronto Economic Development Corporation plans to build at the foot of Jarvis St.
The 13-member Waterfront Design Review Panel rejected the original design last December, and the board stood by that decision, unanimously voting to withdraw its funding.
Changes made to the design since then include the addition of an angular roof and ensuring more potential public access.
The design panel's role is "raising the bar" on the waterfront, said Chris Glaisek, Waterfront Toronto's vice-president of planning and design.
"Every building should be better than average. Not every building will be the Sydney Opera House," he told board members yesterday.
"Do they think this is a great building? No, they do not."
Jeff Steiner, CEO of TEDCO, countered that the project is "gorgeous."
He argued that part of the issue is managing expectations, noting this is the first commercial building – designed by architect Jack Diamond – to be built on the lake's edge as part of a new vision for the waterfront.
"It's easy to be critical when you don't have to be responsible to bring about something real, and meet the needs of the end user," Steiner said.
He said this will be an office building, which will house Corus Entertainment's TV studios, radio stations and 1,300 employees. It will include a public restaurant on the water.
The waterfront board is holding back on the remaining $4.5 million in funding as it awaits further design changes to the interior.
No rendering. :(

""Every building should be better than average. Not every building will be the Sydney Opera House," he told board members yesterday.
"Do they think this is a great building? No, they do not."
Jeff Steiner, CEO of TEDCO, countered that the project is "gorgeous."
He argued that part of the issue is managing expectations, noting this is the first commercial building – designed by architect Jack Diamond – to be built on the lake's edge as part of a new vision for the waterfront."

...'um, isn't this the waterfront we're talking about here? I mean, I'm dazzled by the optimism in language such as, "every building should be better than average" or "the issue is managing expectations"! Shoot for those stars!!

lets face it, these jokers should all be fired (not sure if that's within the realm of possiblility or not, but hey this is my rant!), and strung up!!! I can't believe they are getting away with this, in such an insideous way, and without any outcry. So Toronto!

rant over, whew I feel better.

"It's easy to be critical when you don't have to be responsible to bring about something real, and meet the needs of the end user," Steiner said.

Uh, if that's your only concern, why try? Just build a barn - or better yet, let Corus stay where they were, then you don't have to meet any expectations whatsoever.

IMO, they should have held onto all 9M until an acceptable design is submitted - otherwise, I can just imagine the cut and run scenario happening.

AoD

Agreed. This is the false choice raised so often (and by so many, even on this board): its either beautiful or useful. Well, great architecture is both. Its amazing that so few understand this.

It boggles my mind why they are approving something they aren't happy with. Isn't this the whole point of this panel? I hang my head in disappointment of this city.

This site is basically a blank slate. An architect can do whatever they want and the city should be able to ensure they get something good. How could they possibly screw this up?

The panel approved the project several times - kinda, sorta - then rejected it. Now they've gone back to approving it - kind, sorta. Who knows what they'll do next? Given the suggestions of conflict of interest that have dogged their deliberations, perhaps best not to speculate. They don't always seem to understand their own ground rules either - last summer panel member Hariri Pontarini wanted the building "cantilevered on the lake" when guidelines call for a public promenade designed to keep private businesses from blocking access to it in that way. Seen in this light, clearly D+S are right to focus on substance over spectacle - and the reference to the Sydney Opera House ( a pretty but acoustically-challended example of what is often unthinkingly cited as "great architecture" ) is apt.

This site is basically a blank slate. An architect can do whatever they want and the city should be able to ensure they get something good. How could they possibly screw this up?

There is no such thing as a blank slate though.

Sure there is: go to Home Depot and buy a blank slate;)

While same old lame old is to be expected in conservative corporate toronto, how many people will actually see this building on a daily basis? Or walk right by it, in it etc? So why the big fuss?

Back