With the budget they had, they should've just got Gehry to design something...they'd probably have companies begging to use the place too.

TWRC's Design Review Panel was yesterday. Renderings and drawings were much better and more detailed than before. Somehow the Toronto Star got a rendering/section in advance (see Wednesday's paper).

Diamond got good response from the panel members, except for one or two complaining about too much glass and reflection during daytime.

Its good to see something positive and REAL happening on our waterfront -- finally!

Too bad it will come at the expense of an interetsing neighbourhood.

Actually, there will be no "neighbourhood" at all without the Corus project buffering the heavy industry of the Redpath company. The mix of uses (especially residential) that are "sensitive receptors" by MOE standards cannot be placed in the area until Corus building buffers them. The Corus buidling seems a great solution and adds many employees to the area to use the future shops and amenities and add "animation" given the company's creative arts/media focus. THAT is interesting, whereas empty plans that never happen is why the waterfront is not yet a gem.

Diamond described the performance hall at the Four Seasons Centre as an, "egg within a nest". I don't see the creation of an egg-shaped performance space/studio within a glass atrium as an act of provincial insecurity or an example of cramming a use into a shape; in practical and symbolic terms it explains what Corus does ( providing entertainment ) within the context of an atrium that invites the public in. An atrium was part of the earlier design, as were the offices.

The pod/egg thing has been done elsewhere in town, as Alvin points out - and in other cities. Similarly, Clewes has taken the OCAD tabletop idea and incorporated it in his Pier 27 design; nothing wrong with stealing good ideas that work.

Actually, there will be no "neighbourhood" at all without the Corus project buffering the heavy industry of the Redpath company. The mix of uses (especially residential) that are "sensitive receptors" by MOE standards cannot be placed in the area until Corus building buffers them.

If condos can go up next to the Gardiner and next to the SkyDome I'm not sure why they wouldn't fit next to the sugar factory. I think the fact TEDCO owns the land, that the city hadn't previously approved residential zoning on the land, and that the street, transit, and waterfront is unimproved in the area has more to do with the lack of development in the area than a need for a city subsidized office building to buffer the neighbourhood and kick things off. Offer up condos on the water across the street from a Loblaws near the heart of the city and I am pretty sure there are many takers.

I don't see the creation of an egg-shaped performance space/studio within a glass atrium as an act of provincial insecurity or an example of cramming a use into a shape

No one sees putting uses in interesting spaces as provincial insecurity...except, well, Diamond. Its just been so much fun watching him eat his words.

Of course, if Gehry or Libeskind did this, Diamond would call it too flashy and 'provincial insecurity' (as he has in the past). What bull.

here is a clearer scan:

06142007090510amhi0.jpg

Diamond described the performance hall at the Four Seasons Centre as an, "egg within a nest".

He was describing the performance hall's structural relationship with the rest of the building (and in particular, the sound buffering system). His comment had nothing to do with shape. The performance hall is basically a box.

The above rendering reminds me of a number of Toronto projects including the new Pharmacy building at UofT and the new Four Seasons Centre, among others...

The above rendering reminds me of a number of Toronto projects including the new Pharmacy building at UofT and the new Four Seasons Centre, among others...

Nothing wrong with that on our waterfront! Good to know First Waterfront Place is going to do its job correctly!

Tomorrow being my last day at Corus/Nelvana will be bitter sweet knowing that they're moving to what may turn out to be a funky little building down on the water. I'll reserve my judgement on this as well until we see more renders. If it ends up looking great I may go back in a few years.

Back