The outside surface doesn't mean anything. It's the inside that needs to be up and running. After all. Line 1's trains are still running right now and the Line 1's Eglinton Station is still be used.

They have been running light rail vehicles through the entire Line 5 tunnels and stations for two years now. What are the "deficiencies" that prevents Line 5 from opening? Tell us. Is it that the paint on the signs has to dry before we can enter?

November 10:

it looks like they are encasing the surface utilities in concrete! No more digging, only backfilling now! One step closer to having the road repaved. Due to the concrete pumping truck, Eglinton is one lane at Yonge - Eglinton with police guiding traffic.

Be on the look out for more construction notices on Metrolinx's community documents for when these events occur.

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 3.48.06 PM.png

Screenshot 2023-11-10 at 3.48.21 PM.png

Lots of road construction happening in these next few weeks. As per the community notices, it seems like the road surfaces will be mostly finished by end of Jan.

Permanent traffic lights were just installed a few days ago across all four directions. Here are some photos
tempImageyXraxU.jpg

tempImage4sG4ya.jpg

As well, the westbound lane east of yonge is getting closer to being paved. Frankly, there was so much construction going on that it was hard to take good photos!
tempImagevPoRW8.jpg

West of yonge, they are removing the remaining wooden slats that cars drove over. After this, there is only a small section of these wooden slats left closer to dunfield east of yonge.

I was looking through the progress update that Metrolinx published after the media tour and found an image of the station layout. Took a bit to interpret, but I think I have the locations plotted correctly.

Eglinton-base.png

Mapping the street-level entrances:
Eglinton-streets-entrances.png

The underground configuration seems different from what I've seen previously. In addition to the ECLRT concourse, there appear to be two smaller concourses (I've called them -2, West and -2, East), roughly at the level of Line 1 but not directly connected to it, and with their own fare gates. It seems that the Yonge Eglinton Centre and ePlace complex will connect to these instead of the existing concourse. The entrance at the CIBC on the SE corner is still connected.
Eglinton-levels-entrances.png

Here I've highlighted two new escalators on the existing concourse, each descending to one of these mini-concourses.
Eglinton-separate-sub2.png

And here I've highlighted a few more of the staircases and escalators:
Eglinton-stairs-escalators.png

So someone going from the Yonge Eglinton Centre to Line 1 could:
  • Descend to (-2, West), ascend to the existing concourse, enter the fare gates, and descend to the Line 1 platform
  • Descend to (-2, West), enter the fare gates, descend to the ECLRT concourse, and ascend to the Line 1 platform
I can only assume they've done this because of some issues with utilities under Eglinton Avenue? Because I don't see any other reason for these mini-concourses to exist so deep.

Back