Do you prefer the name Leaside or Bayview for this station?

• Leaside Station

Votes: 51 56.7%
  • Bayview Station

Votes: 39 43.3%

• Total voters
Did they just throw topsoil on top of the concrete steps? If so then it won't be long until the topsoil washes away and the old steps re-emerge...

I assume that's why it's grasses and there isn't a single tree planted.
Yes, that's exactly what they did haha. The grasses will eventually anchor the top layer of soil and compact underneath, and the mulch prevents washing out during heavy rain until that occurs. If you look closely at some of the pictures from before the dirt was added, you can see they've also broken up the concrete at the base of the beds to ensure proper drainage. I think this was more thoroughly planned than people realize, even if it was a recent change.

Reactions: PL1
Yes, that's exactly what they did haha. The grasses will eventually anchor the top layer of soil and compact underneath, and the mulch prevents washing out during heavy rain until that occurs. If you look closely at some of the pictures from before the dirt was added, you can see they've also broken up the concrete at the base of the beds to ensure proper drainage. I think this was more thoroughly planned than people realize, even if it was a recent change.
From the outside looking in, I'm guessing that the steps did not meet building standards. ie. either too steep, not enough railings, etc. The solution to make it a planting bed is clearly a compromise, one that I think will have ongoing maintenance issues. The smooth surface of the concrete steps plus how steep they are will erode the soil away over time.

August 6th

20230806_192243.jpg

IMG20231218080412.jpg

Last week two workers were on hands and knees with sponges cleaning the area in the station at the bottom of the windows near the pillars. I'm not sure that means they are closer to finishing Leaside station, but I can hope.

Also, the taped on sign says "Please refrain from forcibly opening the siding door"... Maybe that's been an issue?
IMG_20231218_230430.jpg

Back