News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Whoever was complaining about all the stations just being concrete walls was a little (in the most UrbanToronto convo sort of way) premature.
I'll grant them this, at least its not just black letters on a concrete wall, but I wish that underneath the tapestry they fill that gray up with something else.

Whoever was complaining about all the stations just being concrete walls was a little (in the most UrbanToronto convo sort of way) premature.

In all fairness, people had a right to expect black letters on concrete, given out the Line 1 extension & Sheppard Line turned out. I'm very surprised to see a little effort here.

So I was looking around the underground station platform wall colors. These are the final colours for each station wall.

I noticed only one pattern. Orange seems to represent interchanges with other lines (Science Centre odd one out)

But what patterns can you guys find for the colours? Do they mean something? lol.

1607555475915.png

So I was looking around the underground station platform wall colors. These are the final colours for each station wall.

I noticed only one pattern. Orange seems to represent interchanges with other lines (Science Centre odd one out)

But what patterns can you guys find for the colours? Do they mean something? lol.

View attachment 287883
Well Science Center is a future interchange station, so it applies in that context, plus its the terminus of the "generally grade separated section (Sunnybrook Park notwithstanding :mad: )"

Aside from that, it looks like Black means major North-South Street meanwhile gray means minor street (although generally I'd classify Keele as major street, but it gets weird near Eglinton so maybe the designers see it differently?)

Last edited:
^This feels like a better balance than TYSSE (overkill) or traditional TTC subway (too little).

Anyone care to start a pool as to when ML revises the wayfinding standard and forces rework ?

- Paul
I know that Metrolinx has already developed a new wayfinding standard for all types of transit, and it's actually very thoughtful and transformative. The new transit logo is a white "T" in a black circle. I'm not sure if the other agencies will use it, since MX is only encouraging them to do so.
You can read it on their engineering portal: http://www.gosite.ca/engineering_public/DesignStandards/Designstandards.aspx

How about $3.74 billion dollar (US dollars) for just the station?

The World's Most Expensive Subway Station

See link.

World Trade Center Transportation Hub officially opened its doors to the PATH subway passengers on March 4, 2016.

This transportation hub is not new. It has existed since 1909 when the first trains carried their passengers from New Jersey to Manhattan and back using the underwater tubes that lie at the bottom of the Hudson River. Hudson Terminal was the first transportation hub which was torn down in 1972 due to the World Trade Center construction and replaced with the PATH Station. PATH Station, in turn, was destroyed by the terrorist attack on September 11, 2001. The temporary PATH Station was in use from 2003 until the new World Trade Center Transportation Hub opened in March 2016.

201603_wtcnewyo_007.jpg

201603_wtcnewyo_001.jpg

201603_wtcnewyo_003.jpg

201603_wtcnewyo_009.jpg

meh, the WTC station is one of the busiest in NYC and presumably one of the busiest on the continent. Seems a bit overinvestment but it is a very important station, not just because of the daily usage and transit connections but also by where it stands, like a monument i suppose, to a past event. It holds significance.

I agree with above poster - the underground crosstown stations are built appropriately by size and cost, and by the looks of it, it might be quite beautiful with the art (but not grand like the York extension's massive stations, but it doesn't need to be grand anyway - it fits in well with the context of Eglinton west)> Can't wait to see more of the art go up in the stations

Back