News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Not sure if it's been posted anywhere on here, but they've installed the obelisks similar to the ones at Laird Station at Kennedy. Link here, and photos attached below from Reddit.

Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 10.57.44 PM.png
Screen Shot 2023-10-11 at 10.57.32 PM.png

So I guess no. But it looks like there's a barrier in the connecting passageways.
I suspect those will be fire doors (whether ones you need to open, or automatically closing ones) between Line 2 and Line 5 - given the different standards of construction at the time.

Reactions: PL1
Nothing in that obelisk telling people what kind of transit it's trying to identify. Is it a bus stop? A subway station? A prematurely closed SRT? Who knows!
I don't see that calling out the specific mode of transport is helpful.

What would be helpful is specifying what route it actually is. People who need a service will use it if it's a subway, tram, bus, rickshaw, or magnetically suspended monorail from Mars, but they need to know what route it is.

Nothing in that obelisk telling people what kind of transit it's trying to identify. Is it a bus stop? A subway station? A prematurely closed SRT? Who knows
Mystery-seeds for future archeologists that dig them up out of our dusty remains…?

Last edited:
Not sure if it's been posted anywhere on here, but they've installed the obelisks similar to the ones at Laird Station at Kennedy. Link here, and photos attached below from Reddit.

View attachment 512532View attachment 512533
Honestly there's no way they can't just add a '5' in a circle to indicate Line 5. Maybe throw in a little tram icon or something to indicate it's a rapid transit/rail service. Assuming that top half is a digital display, of course.

Assuming that top half is a digital display, of course.
Not saying they shouldn’t have a 5 on the sign but it’s incredibly unlikely that’s a digital display. Modular displays are suited for information that change with time, ie. next departure time, weather. There’s no modular info worthwhile to put on a display of that size relative to observed distances.

View attachment 512532View attachment 512533
I do think they could be bigger and more clear, but I like the obelisks. You can all start yelling at me if you want, but the modern version of London's roundel took decades to become a universally-used symbol for the underground, and later all London transit. Toronto (metrolinx) is implementing the T symbol system wide, for rail at least, so I think the argument that "nobody knows what the T means" won't be valid in 5 years

Oddly enough, the same could be said about the TTC's current stop design.

And yet, people have seemed to have figured out what it's for.

Dan
Sure, people eventually figure it out but that's a pretty low bar for wayfinding.

I do think they could be bigger and more clear, but I like the obelisks. You can all start yelling at me if you want, but the modern version of London's roundel took decades to become a universally-used symbol for the underground, and later all London transit. Toronto (metrolinx) is implementing the T symbol system wide, for rail at least, so I think the argument that "nobody knows what the T means" won't be valid in 5 years
The problem is that the Metrolinx T is used for all modes - buses, GO trains, LRT, etc. It's a generic identifier for all transit. Not at all the way that London uses the roundel.

Back