News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

When I passed by two hours ago, crews were actively laying in the concrete forms along Eglinton between Holly and Yonge for the sidewalk, and it looks like a lot of the backfilling work is finished, at least from the north side of the intersection. I avoid the south side generally so I can only assume backfill work is ongoing along with final utility installation.
Here are some images I took two hours ago that act as visual supports for my written observations. Featuring a bright, rosy coloured building on the old bus bay lands. :)
20231220_153043.jpg
20231220_155700.jpg
20231220_155651.jpg
20231220_155726.jpg
20231220_155754.jpg
20231220_155813.jpg
20231220_155841.jpg

Will that eventually be the only entrance to the Line 1 Eglinton station too? Or is there one entrance to Line 5 Eglinton LRT and one entrance to Line 1 Eglinton Subway right beside each other which feels a little weird. I guess they both connect underground too?

Text: Officials say one of the emerging issues that has come up with construction is new water drainage issues (something they say isn’t uncommon with deep tunnels). They say they’ve had to create new channels to redirect small water streams into drainage systems.

Text: We repeatedly asked Metrolinx CEO Phil Verster about opening date. He reiterated one wouldn’t be given until three months before opening, citing ongoing tests/commissioning and rectifying defects. Staff noted final track fixes need to occur in hotter months (sounds like late ‘24)
Sure hope we don't have water stain
Issues.

Will that eventually be the only entrance to the Line 1 Eglinton station too? Or is there one entrance to Line 5 Eglinton LRT and one entrance to Line 1 Eglinton Subway right beside each other which feels a little weird. I guess they both connect underground too?
Wasn't there 4 or 5 entrances to Line 1 before construction started? I don't see that there'd be less once Line 5 opens.

Wasn't there 4 or 5 entrances to Line 1 before construction started? I don't see that there'd be less once Line 5 opens.

I know you love being disagreeable. So let me clarify... two entrances to the same station right next to each other.

There will be the same 4 entrances once Crosstown opens. You have the south and north entrances on the south side as well the tunnel under Yonge from the east side. You will have the tunnel under Eglinton. Other than the 2 tunnels, you have the existing 2 in service today.

When Crosstown opens, there will be 3 for it. The main one, from Line 1 and the Salvation Army Building. Bulk of riders to/from the surface will be using the main one with some using the Salvation Army Building.

Is the UP Express connection at Mt Dennis going to be active from Day 1 of the LRT opening, or is that on a separate timeline altogether?
I’m sure it will be, along with the GO connection. In my opinion, Metrolinx shouldn’t wait for the Crosstown to be done to open the Mount Dennis GO and UPX station. Once it’s complete, open it to serve the Mount Dennis community.

I’m sure it will be, along with the GO connection. In my opinion, Metrolinx shouldn’t wait for the Crosstown to be done to open the Mount Dennis GO and UPX station. Once it’s complete, open it to serve the Mount Dennis community.
There is also the community facility in the refurbished Kodak building that could be opened.

There will be the same 4 entrances once Crosstown opens. You have the south and north entrances on the south side as well the tunnel under Yonge from the east side. You will have the tunnel under Eglinton. Other than the 2 tunnels, you have the existing 2 in service today.

When Crosstown opens, there will be 3 for it. The main one, from Line 1 and the Salvation Army Building. Bulk of riders to/from the surface will be using the main one with some using the Salvation Army Building.

There is no entrance at the Salvation Army Building. See these annotated maps from the Eglinton Station thread.

I know you love being disagreeable. So let me clarify... two entrances to the same station right next to each other.
I only use that station occasionally. I was up there for the first time since Covid the other day, and had problems seeing a entrance sign from the corner of Eglinton and Yonge!

I've been wondering since if they are removing some entranced.

No need to be disagreeable. Thanks for the response.

No. There were previously entrances at all 4 corners, built into the buildings located there. Those still exist, although they have all been closed at various times due to the construction. But they all lead relatively directly to the YUS platform.

This entrance will be a more direct way to get to the Crosstown platforms than those other entrances, but it will be possible to travel anywhere in the station by the labyrinth of connections underground from here

And there is no entrance/exit from the Salvation Army building. There will only be an emergency exit and a firefighter's access.

Dan

passing by aga khan station yesterday, it looks like they removed the fare machines.... so we are VERY far away to the point they figured itd be best to waste money to undo their work...
SMH..... 😒 hopefully im proven wrong

No. There were previously entrances at all 4 corners, built into the buildings located there. Those still exist, although they have all been closed at various times due to the construction. But they all lead relatively directly to the YUS platform.

This entrance will be a more direct way to get to the Crosstown platforms than those other entrances, but it will be possible to travel anywhere in the station by the labyrinth of connections underground from here

And there is no entrance/exit from the Salvation Army building. There will only be an emergency exit and a firefighter's access.

Dan

This map shows how the two entrances connect underground.

Eglinton-base.png

While there are two entrances for now, the current entrance will probably be demolished as part of the Canada Square redevelopment in the next few years. You can see that the building that houses the current south-west entrance will be demolished and turned into an outdoor plaza in renderings of the future site.

50893-152883.jpeg

50893-152895 (1).jpg

^^^ That's pretty cool, but basically construction at that corner for the next 10 years? Hahah.

It will be wild to see them demolish Canada Square.

Back