News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

Metrolinx is "Very Confident" FWLRT will open next year... I wonder how confident they are Eglinton LRT is to open next year?

Reading between the lines, I assume not very confident for a 2024 opening lol

Last edited:
Metrolinx is "Very Confident" FWLRT will open next year... I wonder how confident they are Eglinton LRT is to open next year?

Reading between the lines, I assume not very confident for a 2024 opening lol

I assume that one of the main issues for the crosstown station at yonge/eglinton is the water incursion that they were showing during the press conference some weeks ago... I assume that much of the digging/re-digging and remediation being done at the corner at surface level was to help minimize that? at least I hope that is the case...

Dec 31
From what I could see in the dark, things could be back to normal by the end of January or early February depending on the weather. The northbound lanes on the south side of Eglinton can be open anytime as all work is done there. Lots of sidewalk work stills needs to be done on Eglinton on both side of Yonge.

Small section of the westbound lane east of Yonge still to be done with concrete base and paving to be done.

The cycle path in front of the station stills need to be fill in as well pave.

Noticed the walkway under Eglinton to TTC station is now block off permanently and move to the new Crosstown Station entrance. A new will connect to TTC and the Crosstown entrance as well the walkway under Eglinton.

Old walkway close off
53437124149_9fac46ab26_b.jpg

New connection to Crosstown and walkway
53436942643_3a637f80ce_b.jpg

53437124399_836eef583f_b.jpg

53435881112_fe0a2b693e_b.jpg

I wrote a post in the station thread laying out that tour map. It looks like the 5 existing entrances will be maintained, but with a very different tunnel configuration. Highlights:

Mapping the street-level entrances:
eglinton-streets-entrances-png.528055

(this diagram is a bit off, the blue entrance by the CIBC should be on the east side of Yonge Street)

The underground configuration seems different from what I've seen previously. In addition to the ECLRT concourse, there appear to be two smaller concourses (I've called them -2, West and -2, East), roughly at the level of Line 1 but not directly connected to it, and with their own fare gates. It seems that the Yonge Eglinton Centre and ePlace complex will connect to these instead of the existing concourse. The entrance at the CIBC on the SE corner is still connected [...] Here I've highlighted two new escalators on the existing concourse, each descending to one of these mini-concourses.
eglinton-separate-sub2-png.528053

So someone going from the Yonge Eglinton Centre to Line 1 could:
  • Descend to (-2, West), ascend to the existing concourse, enter the fare gates, and descend to the Line 1 platform
  • Descend to (-2, West), enter the fare gates, descend to the ECLRT concourse, and ascend to the Line 1 platform
I can only assume they've done this because of some issues with utilities under Eglinton Avenue? Because I don't see any other reason for these mini-concourses to exist so deep.

They probably want a separate route to the ECLRT platform that does not overload the Line 1 centre platform.
They could have gotten away with just a west or east -2 level mezzanine but that would have added congestion to the existing concourse.

Happy New Years everyone! May this year be the year the Eglinton LRT opens up.

Lets take a moment to remember all those who are not with us today and were anxiously waiting for the LRT to open. In all seriousness, Metrolinx should acknowledge all those who waited but didn't make it to the opening.

Last edited:
eglinton-separate-sub2-png.528053

Are those fare gates in the final locations? If so it looks like there is only one connection between Line 1 and 5 that doesnt require passengers to leave a fare zone and then re-enter...

what's the over/under on the crosstown being overcapacity in the first year?
It won't start service at maximum allowable frequency, and it will be with two-car trains. If it gets too busy they can first 1) up the service levels and eventually 2) run three-car trains. The West Extension trains haven't been ordered yet so a bigger order could be placed to make all trains three-car if needed.

Back