News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 02, 2020
 8.5K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 39K     0 
News   GLOBAL  |  Apr 01, 2020
 4.8K     0 

There will be no split line.

If, against all projections, ECLRT hits its capacity limit, such condition will apply equally to the tunneled section and the surface section. Train frequency is just one of several parameters that determine the capacity limit. Design of the platforms, stairs / elevators etc matters, too. If one finds a way to run trains in the tunneled section much more frequently than what it was designed for, surely one of those other limitations will be hit.

The only viable solution would be to offload ECLRT using other lines. Extended Sheppard line can divert some of the load. If that's not enough, then a new Lawrence line.

Would it be such a bad situation that so much transit demands pushes all the original Concession and Side roads become LRT/Streetcar lines?

Would it be such a bad situation that so much transit demands pushes all the original Concession and Side roads become LRT/Streetcar lines?

Not a bad situation, but I don't know any other city where the transit demand reached that level, and was solved by a grid of LRTs spaced every 2 km or so. In all cities with demand at that scale, subways carry the bulk of riders.

Not a bad situation, but I don't know any other city where the transit demand reached that level, and was solved by a grid of LRTs spaced every 2 km or so. In all cities with demand at that scale, subways carry the bulk of riders.
Remember, for decades, there was no real investment in local RT. The LRT was seen as a way to ease back into it. The reality is, LRT/Streetcars and subways are desperately needed throughout the city.

they'll eventually have to rebuild the east section elevated like how it should have been build from day 1.

they should just start doing now in my opinion. open the line as planned. start rebuilding the east portion of the line. when that's completely close down the road at grade section.
If they did that, then it cost billions to fix every platform and order high floor trains. Unless they treat it like the GO train where the platforms don't even match the train height.

Warning - Old man rant ahead…. Just prioritize the signals and increase speed between stops. If someone drives a car in front of a train this is 9 times out of 10 because they are in a rush, don’t care or not interested in obeying traffic signals. Self importance and entitlement has become an epidemic.
Honestly, Metrolinx/TTC needs to invest in really good video cameras and lawyers to start going after drivers for lost revenue, repairs, and whatever they can.
The problem is that the drivers coalition is a drivers first transit last group. So the transit priority is so down the list for the city it's ridiculous. What's even more crazy that they built this massive project on Eglinton with car transit signals to operate these trains. Crazy.

If they did that, then it cost billions to fix every platform and order high floor trains. Unless they treat it like the GO train where the platforms don't even match the train height.

that's not what i was referring to. i'm not talking about changing rolling stock.

what i meant was mimicking the Eglinton Crosstown West Extension between Mount Denis & Scarlett, just east instead. replacing the street level grade with less stations, but elevated. the advantages being many and the cost being far less since most of it would be elevated.

I predict that by day 1 of operation someone is going to turn left into an oncoming LRT. I work near the Golden Mile and the drivers here (well, everywhere really) are atrocious. Lots of people don't realize (or care) that left turns are on a separate signal, and turn left as if they were traditionally signalled intersections.

Now I'm pessimistic by default, hopefully people will learn quickly but honestly arms might be a good idea to prevent drivers from pulling in front of the trains while attempting a left turn- this could potentially allow trains to travel at higher speeds through the intersection too. I know neither of these things are on the table at this point, but we'll see what happens after a few morons get creamed as they turn in front of a 40 ton vehicle.

I predict that by day 1 of operation someone is going to turn left into an oncoming LRT. I work near the Golden Mile and the drivers here (well, everywhere really) are atrocious. Lots of people don't realize (or care) that left turns are on a separate signal, and turn left as if they were traditionally signalled intersections.

Now I'm pessimistic by default, hopefully people will learn quickly but honestly arms might be a good idea to prevent drivers from pulling in front of the trains while attempting a left turn- this could potentially allow trains to travel at higher speeds through the intersection too. I know neither of these things are on the table at this point, but we'll see what happens after a few morons get creamed as they turn in front of a 40 ton vehicle.

I wonder - if needed - how easily the intersections/signaling could be retrofitted with arms. The intersection seems pretty wide so maybe two sets would be needed? I'd try to find existing examples from Waterloo/Edmonton/Calgary but don't have time at the moment. Same with doing any measurement comparison. cc @crs1026 @smallspy

I've never ever seen that, not to say that it doesn't happen, or that you are wrong, but I work on Eglinton, and I've never seen the left being made illegally

I've never ever seen that, not to say that it doesn't happen, or that you are wrong, but I work on Eglinton, and I've never seen the left being made illegally
Out in Scarborough? I see it happen at intersections like Warden, Birchmount, etc. Lots might have been hyperbole but it happens. I'm on the road every day though so I see a lot of egregious things.

Are collisions due to illegal left turns a significant issue for the St Clair streetcar?

Sure, random accidents can happen anywhere, but is it a problem big enough to begin worrying and looking for a solution right now. Or, are the Golden Mile drivers much worse than St Clair drivers?

The only viable solution would be to offload ECLRT using other lines. Extended Sheppard line can divert some of the load. If that's not enough, then a new Lawrence line.
An early extension of Ontario Line to Lawrence (at minimum) would help both in providing other options but also more network resiliency.

For me the main goal of a Lawrence LRT would be relieving some of the pinch point which exists in the Bridle Path/Sunnybrook area - the question would be how to thread the alignment through the Glendon/Toronto French School/Bayview Bridge/upscale neighbourhood without a nuclear NIMBY response.

I have to travel to and from Don Mills and Lawrence in the AM peak a few times a week and there are days when every possible road and transit option to go downtown - to Eglinton, to St Clair, to Lawrence, to York Mills sucks because there are so many bottlenecks both for construction and when the DVP congestion overflows onto local streets

An early extension of Ontario Line to Lawrence (at minimum) would help both in providing other options but also more network resiliency.

For me the main goal of a Lawrence LRT would be relieving some of the pinch point which exists in the Bridle Path/Sunnybrook area - the question would be how to thread the alignment through the Glendon/Toronto French School/Bayview Bridge/upscale neighbourhood without a nuclear NIMBY response.

I have to travel to and from Don Mills and Lawrence in the AM peak a few times a week and there are days when every possible road and transit option to go downtown - to Eglinton, to St Clair, to Lawrence, to York Mills sucks because there are so many bottlenecks both for construction and when the DVP congestion overflows onto local streets
I think the answer is you would tunnel from Yonge to don mills. Yes you would skip bayview and sure some Glendon students would be upset but it would help all the NIMBYs avoid heart attacks of their neighbourhood being redeveloped with condos.

With subways or underground lrts the real cost is in the stations not in the tunneling. So if you don’t need an underground station at don mills you save a bunch of money. Just one underground station at Yonge.

I think the answer is you would tunnel from Yonge to don mills. Yes you would skip bayview and sure some Glendon students would be upset but it would help all the NIMBYs avoid heart attacks of their neighbourhood being redeveloped with condos
My alternative would be to divert south, include a station but stick it deep inside the Sunnybrook campus.

Back