taal:

I sort of see the warehouse offices (particularly some of the smaller ones) as transitional, vis-a-vis intensification along the lines of the various Allied projects. That, plus whatever First Gulf is cooking up at the Lever site (plus the Lakeshore E stretch) is probably going to dictate the general thrust of commercial development in the old city. That's a really strong axis for any DRL.

Totally agree with the take on VCC - not sure just how NYCC is competitive to that.

AoD

Through backchannels... take with a grain of salt...

Height was reduced from the lofty concept proposal at the instance of Toronto City Planning and Ward Councillour after preliminary meetings. Plan to demolish 2 Bloor Street office tower intended to mitigate concerns over density, but that was meet with significant resistance from city.

Developer felt height precedent of 290 metres was set for the area, but density of original concept proposal was to high to risk OMB appeal. Is very comfortable and confident with current proposal.

fedplanner:

Thanks, any details on how much of a reduction? Demolishing 2 Bloor without replacing the office space is rightly an untenable outcome.

AoD

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5S 2W8

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 14 157152 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: May 16, 2014

Project: Non-Residential Building Other Proposal

Description: UTILIZE 57 PARKING SPACES ON THE SITE FOR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES (PARKING ASSOCIATED WITH 2 BLOOR WEST RESIDENTIAL DEVELOPMENT).

2 BLOOR ST W
Ward 27 - Tor & E.York District

To obtain site plan for the construction of three mixed use condo buildings. Building one will be 54 storeys and will contain 575 residential units, building two will be a five storey building containing parking, retail and ammenity space accessory to the residential building, and building three will be two-storeys and contain retail space, bicycle parking, and rooftop bar accessory to the residential building.
Proposed Use --- # of Storeys --- # of Units ---
Applications:
Type Number Date Submitted Status
Site Plan Approval 14 210105 STE 27 SA Aug 21, 2014 Under Review

Can we tell if they are proposing to demolish the existing commercial building ?

Can we tell if they are proposing to demolish the existing commercial building ?

The City would never allow it. I suspect that this is why the proposal is scaled back so much: with the office tower still there, they have a lot less density to play with.

The City would never allow it. I suspect that this is why the proposal is scaled back so much: with the office tower still there, they have a lot less density to play with.

From my perspective, I'd rather grant them additional density for preserving office space - and more if they completely upgrade and refresh that space (e.g. replacing the existing building envelope, etc).

AoD

Come on taal, you and we all know that they are not going to demolish that fully leased bldg....
http://www.oxfordproperties.com/leasing/en/office/property/2-bloor-w-office

Right but we know that idea was floated around for a fact, correct me if I'm wrong but it was part of the original plan ? The building was essentially fully leased back then as well.
As a slightly related FYI, you can't always tell how full a building is by looking at just one site, the issue being a couple of factors: 1) Sometimes the landlord will let various leasing agencies handle the direct leasing 2) When a company sub-leases space quite often they don't use the same leasing company as to whom they're paying the lease.

A great website to use is:
http://www.realinsite.com/

Phase one of the redo here is the east-west portion along Cumberland, stopping short of Yonge, and including a new low-rise retail pavilion on Bay and a mid-block high-rise rental tower. Phase two (no date on it yet) would be the north-south portion along Yonge. As it's farther in the future it's impossible to say what exactly will be proposed for the existing office tower. (A re-cladding? More?) Current thinking is to add a small floor plate hotel tower north of it at Cumberland, but that could change before Phase Two is launched.

It was a feasibility study. Nothing more. Just a quick exercise to see what would be gained / lost from such a scheme.

Phase one of the redo here is the east-west portion along Cumberland, stopping short of Yonge, and including a new low-rise retail pavilion on Bay and a mid-block high-rise rental tower. Phase two (no date on it yet) would be the north-south portion along Yonge. As it's farther in the future it's impossible to say what exactly will be proposed for the existing office tower. (A re-cladding? More?) Current thinking is to add a small floor plate hotel tower north of it at Cumberland, but that could change before Phase Two is launched.

Just to be clear, does this mean that we might eventually see two towers proposed for this site?

Just to be clear, does this mean that we might eventually see two towers proposed for this site?

It seems like there may be a mini - hotel at some point in the future. Either way another tragic loss for the city. Instead of actually having something that stands out we are turning this area into something that could be replicated in any Canadian city. It's like no one on city council wants this city to be great. Truly heartbreaking.

It seems like there may be a mini - hotel at some point in the future. Either way another tragic loss for the city. Instead of actually having something that stands out we are turning this area into something that could be replicated in any Canadian city. It's like no one on city council wants this city to be great. Truly heartbreaking.

Can we stop with messaging like this?

As if approving one additional condo development, or perhaps a super tall (cue collective orgasm), will make Toronto "world class" or "great" or whatever you think its missing. Toronto has great things, has messed up things, has things to improve upon, but the Bay-Cumberland decision to build one tower is not the Schlieffen plan of Toronto's aspirations.

Back