Saw some staff at GLB being trained today. The space looks so much smaller now that it's fully fitted and furnished.

I don't often go out for drinks anymore, because .... I have a two year old. But I am looking forward to dropping by and picking up some of their beer.

I don't often go out for drinks anymore, because .... I have a two year old. But I am looking forward to dropping by and picking up some of their beer.
Speaking of which, anyone knows what happened to Against the Grain? It's gone. Not that I was a regular, but with warmer weather coming, the downtown waterfront east of Yonge would be so dead without an F&B outlet.

I hope with the summer weather and outside patios, the Yard will look more lively and inviting.

Did not know Against the Grain was gone! Hopefully the new bar/restaurant will open up soon.

Speaking of which, anyone knows what happened to Against the Grain? It's gone. Not that I was a regular, but with warmer weather coming, the downtown waterfront east of Yonge would be so dead without an F&B outlet.

Thank goodness that died.

Spectacular patio space, but that was its one and only saving grace.

I ate there with a friend once early on.........they messed up the orders, service was slow, the caesar salad was way under dressed because they left the dressing at the bottom of the bowl w/o tossing it..........

I wrote a lovely note to management and got a meal for two completely comped.......

They screwed it up again..............I didn't complain a second time............I simply never returned.

Spectacular incompetence and indifference to good food and good service.

While not an upper echelon place, it was fully priced. At the prices they were asking, I expect VERY good food and service...........I got neither.

My sympathy to any staff who tried, but that place was a hard-core fail. Give their decorator points............but no one else.

Are you sure they're closed?

The website is still live and allowing reservations.

I ate there with a friend once early on.........they messed up the orders, service was slow, the caesar salad was way under dressed because they left the dressing at the bottom of the bowl w/o tossing it..........

I wrote a lovely note to management and got a meal for two completely comped.......

They screwed it up again..............I didn't complain a second time............I simply never returned.

Spectacular incompetence and indifference to good food and good service.

While not an upper echelon place, it was fully priced. At the prices they were asking, I expect VERY good food and service...........I got neither.

My sympathy to any staff who tried, but that place was a hard-core fail. Give their decorator points............but no one else.
Agreed. I thought it was over-priced and food was mediocre. But it was the only place on the water downtown east of Queens Quay Terminal (unless you count Alexandros). Our waterfront is so under-utilized. All that money spent revitalizing Queens Quay, and not a decent place to eat on what should be a prime stretch of real estate ...

I thought they were doing ok with those little patio igloos they built. But yeah, I went a handful of times (anyone who knows me around here knows I love love love Sugar Beach, the promenade, Sherbourne Common, Aitken Place etc.) and it was universally a bad experience, either because of food or service. We went once with friends who had a few hours before having to get to the airport for a flight, and we eventually had to say goodbye to them before they had anything to eat.

I thought they were doing ok with those little patio igloos they built. But yeah, I went a handful of times (anyone who knows me around here knows I love love love Sugar Beach, the promenade, Sherbourne Common, Aitken Place etc.) and it was universally a bad experience, either because of food or service. We went once with friends who had a few hours before having to get to the airport for a flight, and we eventually had to say goodbye to them before they had anything to eat.

That's it in a nutshell.

Golden location; attractively laid out, particularly on the patio.............

And executed so poorly, for so long that it defies the imagination.

I did like it last summer when they had the ice cream stand. We got some good ice cream there, and the promenade has lots of places to sit and eat it.

As much as I love the waterfront, if we're looking for a walk to sit on a patio and have a snack or drink, we're going either to Biermarkt (yummy pretzels!) or the Aviary (such delicious tater tots!) every time. Never to Against the Grain, despite the spectacular setting.

But to bring it back on topic, I am pretty optimistic about GLB providing another option in the area, with better beer and snacks than either of those other places. Let's see how the yard develops when crowds return.

My husband went to Against the Grain last year... to use their washroom, which they graciously allowed him to do. Because this city is scared of public toilets. (Someone should organize a sh*t-in at Nathan Phillips Square - sorry for the visual).

There is a public washroom in Sherbourne Common, just around the corner. It is open these days too. If you try to go, there is often someone living in it, though.

In normal times, it would probably be easy to pop into George Brown to use a washroom too.

Walked by today and it's still open and operating as usual, so not sure where this info came from. Their patio is a little deconstructed because the curtain wall on the building above is being cleaned up, but the patio wouldn't be open now anyways.

Personally I've visited Against The Grain a number of times and found it enjoyable (nothing special, but reminds me of a Kelsey's-type restaurant where it's got something for everyone, good food and doesn't break the bank, but isn't going to win any awards).

Reactions: DSC
Walked by today and it's still open and operating as usual, so not sure where this info came from. Their patio is a little deconstructed because the curtain wall on the building above is being cleaned up, but the patio wouldn't be open now anyways.

Personally I've visited Against The Grain a number of times and found it enjoyable (nothing special, but reminds me of a Kelsey's-type restaurant where it's got something for everyone, good food and doesn't break the bank, but isn't going to win any awards).
I walked by the other day and it looked closed, no sign of the patio and even the sign seemed to have been gone. If they’re still open, good for them and for the eastern waterfront.

Back