the .wav pattern is a nice throw back but the coloured panels in those window recesses are not the nicest colours. Hopefully the real thing will be done in cleaner hues.

The design looks very incoherent to me; I can't figure out what they are trying to accomplish.

The .wav frit pattern certainly references the waterfront location and hints at the academic uses (lots of studio spaces shown in the plans) but the overall design is incoherent and doesn't look promising to me at this point. It tries to be different yet isn't architecturally innovative. The layouts and everything about it are "meh" to me.

Ugh. It seems awful. Reminds me of the worst parts of CityPlace. So many huge walls of glass in different angles and with a few weird patterns and ugly colours thrown in here and there to try to disguise the fact that it’s just a big pile of glass. It looks embarrassing in these renderings.

Saw this on the building back during the summer, my guess was that it measured growth of cracks in the structure. May have had something to do with the quick demo.

10724262_709700302454364_992966630_n.jpg

Attachments

• 10724262_709700302454364_992966630_n.jpg
    10724262_709700302454364_992966630_n.jpg
    195.6 KB · Views: 1,036
This is a mess. Too many ideas going on. Design by committee no doubt, and a bad one at that.

It looks like they ripped off some of the elements of the KMPB design for GB. There seems to be a lot of copycat design going on at the waterfront.

I'm shocked at how uninspired this city has been with respect to the waterfront (the private development at least, not public). It's like they are so overwhelmed that it has killed off any creativity. I don't really like Chorus or George Brown all that much either. They offer some somewhat quirky gestures, admittedly, but still come off looking like business park buildings designed by people who like to have fun in suits (which isn't a lot of fun). I shake my head at how such phenomenal opportunities have been handled.

Agreed. Monde and pier 27 stand out but not a lot else does. You would think they would try to make more iconic highly visible structures in such a prime location.

I'm inclined to think that it will look nothing like the image they created. Quite unfortunate that it's the end of an era for Guvernment.

I'm shocked at how uninspired this city has been with respect to the waterfront (the private development at least, not public). It's like they are so overwhelmed that it has killed off any creativity. I don't really like Chorus or George Brown all that much either. They offer some somewhat quirky gestures, admittedly, but still come off looking like business park buildings designed by people who like to have fun in suits (which isn't a lot of fun). I shake my head at how such phenomenal opportunities have been handled.

Agreed. The city has had a golden opportunity, but much of it thus far has been squandered. The good news is that there's still plenty of opportunity for architectural excellence on the waterfront.

Also appreciate the optimism they had when they decided to stick a streetcar in the render.

Back