AlbertC

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto
The rendering design for this project found on Scott Shields' website looks like a potential match to the line drawings found on Debut Condos website:

1596545365952.png

1596545610220.png

1596545666160.png

Looks like it.

I almost have to wonder where this sudden condo market is coming from for Barrie. It's not like the city has particularly high housing costs, or even a history of a large amount of apartment construction.

Looks like it.

I almost have to wonder where this sudden condo market is coming from for Barrie. It's not like the city has particularly high housing costs, or even a history of a large amount of apartment construction.

Perhaps to tap into and expand the retiree condo lifestyle market. That comes to mind with the aging population, some of whom may look towards leaving the main GTA core. Also with younger families to escape high housing costs in the city, especially if they have feasible employment options in the region or WFH abilities.

I agree. I am sure there are lots of people looking towards their retirement years and maybe with enough equity to invest in a second home but priced out of the Toronto market.

It would make sense to purchase in a secondary market in Barrie and eventually retire there, while renting out their 2-bedroom unit in Toronto for $3,000 a month to support themselves in retirement.

Can definitely see this running into strong opposition, and I would not be surprised if it will need to make some concessions- especially in terms of height and the loss of theatre spaces (Grand + Uptown).

Personally a bit wary of huge contemporary monolithic-megablock redevelopments, as the replacement retail can go either way in terms of vibrancy; changes to retail layouts, unit sizes, and new rental rates considered.

I do like the higher podium though as a new datum-line, and I could see this doable if you lop off the upper third of the structure.

Last edited:
The shifting building blocks has obviously been over-done around the planet, but the colour changes and 2 different lower volumes make me really like this (good luck Barrie).

Forgive one more 'barn door/horse gone' comment, but I'm going to pretend they built these at Daniels Waterfront...

Last edited:
Queens Quay has gems like 12 Bonnycastle Street (Monde) and 460 Queens Quay West (Kings Landing) but also distasteful junk like these towers, Harbour Square, the uninspired sterility of the upcoming Menkes project, the downmarket podium of 8 York Street (Waterclub), and the dead residential enclave that is Pier 27. We should be doing better overall with prime waterfront land.

Back