Yet another megamenities complex...condo zones would be livelier if they had none, or at least smaller ones. Giving up the hot yoga room and the mahjong room and the indoor basketball court would lower costs, too.

They should really throw in even one 40 storey building just for the visibility along the 401 or the NY Towers will continue being the centre of attention.

They could have tried to go taller, and maybe they did, but I don't know if the City would have allowed it. NY Towers were supposed to be taller when they were proposed but were forced to limit them to 28 storeys creating squatier, shorter buildings.

Yet another megamenities complex...condo zones would be livelier if they had none, or at least smaller ones. Giving up the hot yoga room and the mahjong room and the indoor basketball court would lower costs, too.

They should really throw in even one 40 storey building just for the visibility along the 401 or the NY Towers will continue being the centre of attention.

Besides selling points, the reason condos build such extravagant amenities is because the city mandates that for every square foot of residential area the building sells it must build a certain amount of amenity space. If you are unhappy with the amenities being built in new condo buildings talk to your city councillor.

Interesting...I'd never heard that before. It should be more flexible, especially for all the people eager to spend less on facilities they know they won't their money's worth out of.

5 seconds of googling found this appropriate Star article:
http://www.urbanstrategies.com/images/uploads/02-03-2007-TorontoStar-Amenity_Bylaw-PDM.pdf

Given what's been rendered so far, I don't think they "NY Towersed" Discovery and made it squatter, they probably just saw 28 storeys as the status quo and followed.

Bah I meant "concord cityplace sucks" not park place >.>

http://www.badcondo.com/

and while they arn't "Concord" in HK they go by other names.

Don't think like the white guy, think like a shrewed Chinese businessman.

Yeah, with Ikea there, it could be very busy unless they are smart and put up private driveway access

they probably just saw 28 storeys as the status quo and followed.

There is a little more involved in the planning and development process then seeing 28 stories up the road and determining that 'status quo' should be followed. This is a multi-billion dollar project afterall.

It's Concord - you're giving them way too much credit. At the end of the day one guy sitting at his desk decides how many storeys he wants and another guy at another desk decides if he agrees.

Bah I meant "concord cityplace sucks" not park place >.>

http://www.badcondo.com/

and while they arn't "Concord" in HK they go by other names.

Don't think like the white guy, think like a shrewed Chinese businessman.

That website is such a joke. Anyone with half a brain would realize that those "articles" are not based on truths, and are smack with ignorance.

It's Concord - you're giving them way too much credit.

One should give them some credit. They've built two major developments in this country so far with this one soon to be the third. That's pretty impressive IMHO.

That website is such a joke. Anyone with half a brain would realize that those "articles" are not based on truths, and are smack with ignorance.

I'm not sure those articles are true or not but most of them can't really be attributed to Cityplace specifically. If crimes happen at Cityplace that doesn't really say anything about Concord. If the condo board doesn't properly manage a building that was built by Concord it doesn't say anything about Concord. Anything that could happen anywhere and does happen anywhere really doesn't say anything bad about Concord at all. Unless there are statistics which can compare qualities of a Concord development and compare it to another non-Concord development in an unbiased way there isn't much to learn.

The fact that this is being built around the IKEA makes it that much cooler. I'm really excited to see this go up, and it's something new for North York. I'm curious to see how similar or dissimilar it will look to CityPlace, ex. HarbourView Estates.

Back