docks.jpg
docks2.jpg
docks3.jpg
docks4.jpg
docks5.jpg
docks6.jpg
docks7.jpg
docks8.jpg

Wow ! Here we go with intensifying Whitby shores nice buildings ! This development will probably bring in more highrises development in this area!

To my memory this is not the first high density residential proposal for this plot of land. If you check out the street view from 2009 you can see that there was a development proposal back then too. Street view from 2011 shows the partial removal/removal of the vegetation from the site.
Brookfield Residential also owns the land across Brock Street from this site that can be see in the right side of render that I quote.

Dockside​

1846 & 1900 Brock Street South, Whitby​

Developer: Brookfield Homes
Units: 1,257
Storeys: 12, 33, 33, 33, 15 and 21
East Parcel GFA: 1,053,399 sq.ft
West Parcel GFA: 339,288 sq.ft

Project website:

More info and renderings:

View attachment 324114View attachment 324115View attachment 324116View attachment 324117View attachment 324118View attachment 324119View attachment 324120View attachment 324121

Not clear to me at first blush, and I will have a more detailed look later; is the intent to provide for public access to the water's edge?

To my memory this is not the first high density residential proposal for this plot of land. If you check out the street view from 2009 you can see that there was a development proposal back then too. Street view from 2011 shows the partial removal/removal of the vegetation from the site.
Brookfield Residential also owns the land across Brock Street from this site that can be see in the right side of render that I quote.

They've definitely had waterfront hiccups:

Wow, this is much more intense than the previous 8-10 storey versions that were floating around.

No Whitby market for this kind of thing, especially down here. Just north, you can get a good size townhouse with two yards for under $750k (asking).

I'd wonder what they're ballparking for their construction costs - it's more expensive to build beside water and there's no seawall here yet. It's also an extravagant design - multi-storey bridges, cantilevers, huge retail spaces. I just don't see it happening.

No Whitby market for this kind of thing, especially down here. Just north, you can get a good size townhouse with two yards for under $750k (asking).

I'd wonder what they're ballparking for their construction costs - it's more expensive to build beside water and there's no seawall here yet. It's also an extravagant design - multi-storey bridges, cantilevers, huge retail spaces. I just don't see it happening.

From my perspective - the Dockside Whitby project would appeal to, be directed at the more mature, children are gone, downsizing market - totally different from townhouse or single detached with yards. Younger couple DINCs as well (Double Income No Children). Singles, and families with children not so much. A good analogy would be some of the waterfront developments in Oakville, downtown Burlington, even Mississauga and along Queens Quay itself.

The overall design speaks to an upper end luxury market willing to pay a fair price (i.e. a premium) for the waterside location, the design, and good amenities.

With Brookfield behind this, there should be no question of the financial ability to accommodate the project, or the ability to handle the timeframe required to bring it to fruition.

From my perspective - the Dockside Whitby project would appeal to, be directed at the more mature, children are gone, downsizing market - totally different from townhouse or single detached with yards. Younger couple DINCs as well (Double Income No Children). Singles, and families with children not so much. A good analogy would be some of the waterfront developments in Oakville, downtown Burlington, even Mississauga and along Queens Quay itself.

The overall design speaks to an upper end luxury market willing to pay a fair price (i.e. a premium) for the waterside location, the design, and good amenities.

With Brookfield behind this, there should be no question of the financial ability to accommodate the project, or the ability to handle the timeframe required to bring it to fruition.
Will Whitby get some of the crowd who are retiring to the Oakville or Burlington waterfronts though? Those two have pedestrian-friendly downtowns to walk to, while Whitby's is a couple kilometres north across the 401.

Map with a red pin representing the site for those that want the context a bit more clearly:

1622570183759.png

Next, the regulatory floodplain map. Interestingly, despite being right on the harbour, the majority of the site is outside the floodplain. The n/e corner, however, is not.

Floodplain is the darker blue. The dots are the existing route of the Waterfront Trail

1622570260237.png

Aerial view of the site:

1622570605328.png

This streetview shot is at the south of end of the site, where Water Street curves, it looks, to me, (as a lay person) that it should sit above the high-water line..........but I do wonder about storm surge.

1622570723264.png

Streeview of the site, from Brock Street; shows as 2018.

1622570836278.png

Looking back at Streetview from 2009...........they cleared alot of trees off this site:

1622570919182.png

Sure, there may be a couple of folks who fit that profile, but are there ~1.5m GFA of those folks? I sincerely doubt it. Moreover, as @interchange42 indicates - there are competitors for those same buyers. Competitors who aren't trying to position their offering beside one of the largest areas of manufacturing and heavy industrial employment in the GTA:

1622573594035.png

Will Whitby get some of the crowd who are retiring to the Oakville or Burlington waterfronts though? Those two have pedestrian-friendly downtowns to walk to, while Whitby's is a couple kilometres north across the 401.

I was going to say, this looks like something you'd see proposed in a place like Bronte, which I'd consider to be much more appealing than this location...

What was here before?

Back