yep, the city preaches mixed use communities but refuses to believe it when it comes to employment lands.

I admit this is largely due to bad experiences with it (developers come in with only token employment uses), but when a project like this presents the ability to contain a true mix, it is ignored.

East Harbour is not a bad name. Easily marketable, easily recognizable for an international, global audience. As something being marketed as Toronto's Canary Wharf, it is not a bad name at all.

It will be close enough to water to warrant the name, which was a concern of @44North , the Don River floodplains restoration and the development of 3C and the Portlands directly adjacent will allow for good access to lake shore amenities from East Harbour, like boardwalks and riverside cafes and stuff. Villiers street is a 500m walk from the center of the Unilever site - we expect people to walk that distance to bus and subway stops presently, I don't think the walk will be a deal-breaker so long as a pedestrian friendly and interesting environment is created.

East Harbour is not a bad name. Easily marketable, easily recognizable for an international, global audience. As something being marketed as Toronto's Canary Wharf, it is not a bad name at all.

It will be close enough to water to warrant the name, which was a concern of @44North , the Don River floodplains restoration and the development of 3C and the Portlands directly adjacent will allow for good access to lake shore amenities from East Harbour, like boardwalks and riverside cafes and stuff. Villiers street is a 500m walk from the center of the Unilever site - we expect people to walk that distance to bus and subway stops presently, I don't think the walk will be a deal-breaker so long as a pedestrian friendly and interesting environment is created.

Agreed, it's not a bad name. Misleading (since the property isn't on water - navigable or otherwise), but not bad.

However I actually wouldn't be surprised if Ports Toronto (formerly TPA, formerly THC) will force them to change their name. They're Federal, and Toronto's port/harbour is a significant, tangible component of this nation's transportation and trading network. Officially (and AFAIK) we have the Inner Harbour, Outer Harbour, Eastern Channel, Keating Channel, Western Channel, Shipping Channel/Turning Basin. If for navigational purposes the (federal) Ports Toronto decides to rename part of our harbour as "East Harbour" (a distinct possibility considering plans for the Don delta/Port Lands, and ongoing contractual dumping of dredgeate at Tommy Thompson spit), I think they deserve the right to have that name available for future use.

TL;DR - I wouldn't hold my breath on "East Harbour" being Unilever's new name for much longer.

We wanted to share a new rendering of the multi-modal transit hub at East Harbour.

The transit hub is a fundamental building block of bringing 50,000+ jobs to East Harbour, and we’re excited to share the new rendering.

Transit Hub 2.jpg

Attachments

• Transit Hub 2.jpg
    Transit Hub 2.jpg
    176.7 KB · Views: 4,152
Hang on, is that a rail station spanning the DVP and the river? I guess that's one way of avoiding platform curves. But earlier today the city came out with a DRL plan showing a station under Eastern that would link to the RER station, which would be hundreds of feet away under this scheme. Obviously some coordination needed.

We wanted to share a new rendering of the multi-modal transit hub at East Harbour.

The transit hub is a fundamental building block of bringing 50,000+ jobs to East Harbour, and we’re excited to share the new rendering.

View attachment 77341

Nice to see FG on here, and thanks for sharing the rendering—here's hoping what's depicted in that rendering (transit and all) gets built! Really liking some of the representations of integrating greenery into the design in a way that in some fashion mimics suggested pedestrian/user flow.

Woooooah, that density is wild. Is that a reflection of the CN tower and assorted buildings off the rendered building?

EDIT: Now this is reminding me off something like London, love it, even if it won't be as spectacular as it looks as a very preliminary rendering.

Last edited:
With the news today of the DRL station formally being located here, this project just got a big boost. That station looks crazy! the scale on that is massive.. It will be interesting to see how that translates to reality. Chances are it won't be anywhere close to that large, but with that level of vision going in, I'm sure an amazing final product will occur regardless.

I think the height / density as depicted in this very preliminary rendering is in keeping with expectations that the ultimate build-out for this huge chunk of land will amount to a second CBD, one positioned on the east side of the Don. Or, at the very least, you could view it as an eastward extension of downtown's already soaring feel.

The Unilever lot is ripe for redevelopment and it's adjacent to the Portlands, which is another zone that will be hugely transformed over the next couple of decades. With the DRL and Toronto's steady growth as a destination city, this thing has legs.

Hang on, is that a rail station spanning the DVP and the river? I guess that's one way of avoiding platform curves. But earlier today the city came out with a DRL plan showing a station under Eastern that would link to the RER station, which would be hundreds of feet away under this scheme. Obviously some coordination needed.

I'm sure these details will get worked out, this render is obviously just a vision of an ideal scenario for the developer. I would also hope that some sort of connection to the Cherry streetcar is taken into account.

...and the Broadview extension/streetcar, too. I think the most exciting aspect of the new preferred alignment is the improved connections to the Portlands. Residents and employees will be able to hop on the WELRT and be at Sumach or Broadview Relief Line stations within a few minutes.

I really like that @First Gulf is engaging with the community here, posting renderings. I wish this was more the norm.

At first I was concerned that the Portlands (which I think when fully-built out would compliment the First Gulf site beautifully) would be inaccessible by transit. This transit hub may do away with those fears!

Back