Zero to none.

Great moment, while the Ford gov't is busy rolling back MZOs to repeal the one for East Harbour that allowed residential in the first place.

I would love to see the look on Sal's face (CEO); LOL

Commercial market is absolutely dead right now.
Any build-out here is years away.
At this point, I hope so.

The zoning is so monotonous, the towers so bluntly crowded in without graciousness, the station looking so dully unspectacular...
I hope most, if not all of this project goes back to the drawing board.

I honestly don't see the need for any of this until mid century. There are several places for large office towers in the downtown core, which in my opinion probably won't be realized until the 2030s. The whole project seems to be a bit contrived...

I don't see it that way. It's a huge parcel of land adjacent to downtown - a pretty massive opportunity for the city to reinvent and reinvigorate its central east side. It's a zone ripe for redevelopment and it's close to the Portlands, the re-naturalized mouth of the Don, planned transit infrastructure, downtown itself, etc. That said, it needs to be a mix of office and residential if it's going to work.

I don't see it that way. It's a huge parcel of land adjacent to downtown - a pretty massive opportunity for the city to reinvent and reinvigorate its central east side. It's a zone ripe for redevelopment and it's close to the Portlands, the re-naturalized mouth of the Don, planned transit infrastructure, downtown itself, etc. That said, it needs to be a mix of office and residential if it's going to work.
CF ain't gonna build hundreds of thousands of SF of commercial office space on spec in this market. It won't happen. Not with a 15% vacancy rate and with downtown office projects being constructed now with no or limited leases signed (i.e. Portland Commons ,T3 Bayside). It will take many years for this vacancy rate to recover and many years beyond that before any projects here are realized.

From the contractor side, East Harbour was pretty active on the pricing/estimating side until this past year. With the way the market has turned, it seems this isn't a CF priority at the moment.

This was always meant to be a mixed use project so residential, retail and secondary school uses will go ahead.

My concern is this gets watered down and rezoned to a city place 2 full of short term high end rentals with the aid of massive publicly funded investment. I recognize this site has massive potential, but there has to be a suitable need that can be realized.

The dense cluster of office towers tells me Cadillac Fairview paid too much to build a Cityplace of CMHC mortgage backed rentals.. It's not free money. It's just cheap debt. Perhaps commercial podiums set up for the boom in Life Sciences with rental skyscraper above? I'm less worried over this form of development spreading across South Riverdale with the collapse of the office market.

I can see CF courting a university to put an entire campuses worth of facilities in several podiums. University of Guelph is still floating around and they could even get more than one and maybe a foreign school; University of London might be a good fit! 🤔😀😛

Back