If I have to guess it would be some concrete berm smack against the edge of the river to maximize developable land.

AoD
The proposed berm from back in 2018 when I last saw it, did take up a substantial amount of land from East Harbour and the BMW site to the north. Definitely would limit the development of that site, so an alternate scenario would benefit the owner/developer there.
Hopefully not a concrete wall. I also would have thought the naturalization of the river mouth would have alleviated some of the need for the berm with removing the hard 90 degree turn that currently causes water backup.
I'm sure they have looked into that though.

I wonder when final designs for East Harbour station/transit hub are going to be released. Is Henning Larsen still the architect on the transit hub? I'm guessing HDR will just be designing the Ontario line platforms?

Plans are available on the AIC, seems people may have missed them. Design seems to be at 60%.

There's hundreds of pages of documents here, including some extensive documents on wayfinding.

I can't seem to access the main architecture documents as the file is too large for the browser to handle, so if someone could find renders that'd be great!

The overall impression I'm getting here though is the design has been value engineered quite a bit from early concepts. Standard GO canopies, and there's also a lack of station retail, which of all stations, this one has the most room for. (There's a whole plaza faced by nothing but electrical doors?)

1000003772.jpg

I also tried to download the files but couldn't so we will have to wait for somebody with a more powerful computer to try.

Ok, so, I think there must be something wrong w/the Arch files.

I have good High Speed and can stream movies no problem, but this 300mb file does not want to load and I tried 2 diff. browsers.

However, Looking through the morass and I see a separate Plans and Drawings file, at 46mb which has loaded............from that:

1699587795085.png

1699587835281.png

Thoughts .............this doesn't match the EA layout of Broadview that I recall..........and man, that's a fine dress for a casual walk through nowhere.

There are other images, quite a few but most I would describe as non-revelatory. I'll have a closer look later.

yea it keeps crashing the browser trying to download it. This is a high-end gaming computer and even i cant download it.
Has there ever been an arch file that big?

yea it keeps crashing the browser trying to download it. This is a high-end gaming computer and even i cant download it.
Has there ever been an arch file that big?

Not that I can recall.

I've seen 1 or 2 other 'rule breakers' (ie. over 25mbs); but nothing much over 50mb before.

Oh dear god this looks like absolute garbage so far. Who doesn't love a long blank concrete wall alongside a pedestrian underpass! Why not have glass there like they have planned at Queen St?

But also sadly exactly the kind of suburban garbage we have come to expect from MX. They would think a twisted wrap of metal fins around an ugly concrete box is "architecture"

How do they make what is supposed to be a signature station by far the single worst design on the entire OL? No wonder they hid this one for so long. They gave it GO budget, not OL budget.

Last edited:
I tried myself to downloard the arch plans but it was a no go as well.

Regarding what we can see so far for the updated plans; what I will say is that this is a transit station, and as such Metrolinx has no idea how to build them in a way where they look attractive. We've seen it time and time again from them and it's really sad.

Make no mistake however, if this was a parking garage, Metrolinx would spare no expense in making this look like an opulent Taj Mahal.

I tried myself to downloard the arch plans but it was a no go as well.

Regarding what we can see so far for the updated plans; what I will say is that this is a transit station, and as such Metrolinx has no idea how to build them in a way where they look attractive. We've seen it time and time again from them and it's really sad.

Make no mistake however, if this was a parking garage, Metrolinx would spare no expense in making this look like an opulent Taj Mahal.
We should have told them this station would be in some obscure town in York Region, and be used by 5 people per day. We'd have be given the world's most beautiful transit station as a responce,.

Back