Aug 15

IMG_aug-15-09-0073.jpg

That's a great construction update. I hope I get that kind of detail from my developer, but i'm not holding my breath. I am going to forward this to them in the hopes that they might learn a thing or two about communication :)

not according to the July 31 update from the developer provided above:

I toured the building with the developer earlier this year, when steel stud framing of the lower floors had already started. The structural walls are poured concrete (as seen in the various pics), and typically these walls also serve as the demising walls between suites, for most suites.

The walls separating the suites from the corridor however were being framed for steel stud and drywall, and likely will also include some form of insulation to get the acoustic rating required by the building code.

This is pretty typical in condo construction. Most of the potential noise problems are from suite-to suite (eg. hearing your neighbour's party), so having concrete walls between the suites is great. The drywall walls between the suite and the corridor aren't quite as effective in controlling sound, but there is less potential noise generated (ie. the use of the corridors doesn't generate a lot of noise that might be transferred to the suite).

I would think that the demising walls of some of the narrower suites, or suites that have demising walls that are irregular, jogging back and forth (hence not aligned with the structural concrete walls) will also be acoustically upgraded drywall/steel stud walls, as they will definitely not be poured concrete. I wouldn't think that the developer would do them in concrete block -- since he has the steel stud/drywall trade doing all the other walls, its easier to have them do these "irregular" demising walls as well.

and likely will also include some form of insulation to get the acoustic rating required by the building code.

The "required acoustic rating" is abysmal....might as well use wire mesh.

This is pretty typical in condo construction.
...for tha past 10 years. Prior to that, fire codes required cinder block or poured concrete. By adding glass fiber to drywall, one can acheive the required minimal fire rating.

the use of the corridors doesn't generate a lot of noise that might be transferred to the suite).

...depending on where you live.

Additional Closing Costs

Does anyone know approximately how much the additional Education, Development, etc Levies will be for East?

Probably the most direct way of answering your question would be to ask the developer. I'm not an expert on development charges by any means, but there is a 2 page City of Toronto pamphlet that explains it:

http://www.toronto.ca/finance/pdf/dc-pamphlet.pdf

According to this, "development charges are generally calculated, payable and collected on the date an above grade building permit is issued." (from the developer in other words, and the developer passes them on to you at the end when you take possession).

The development charges increase from year to year, so the figures shown in the pamphlet (Bachelor or 1-bedroom: $4,985.00 per unit; 2-bedroom and larger: $8,021.00 per unit) are for construction projects that get a building permit in 2009.

The building permit at East was issued November 2008, so the rates in effect were presumably lower, although I don't know what they were at that time.

In my purchase agreement, the developer agreed to cap the development charges and education development charges, etc. at a maximum of $5,500 (for a 2-bedroom unit), so I imagine that this was the going rate at the time (2005). I reckon if you didn't get this "capped" in your purchase agreement, that you might have to pay the actual 2008 rate, whatever that was.

I'm not sure if this was too helpful, but it at least gives you an idea of the magnitude of what you might be looking at. Again, maybe an email to the developer would give you the answer you are looking for.

DC's and EDC's

I reckon if you didn't get this "capped" in your purchase agreement, that you might have to pay the actual 2008 rate, whatever that was.

The developer agreed to "cap " the charges because they were paid to the City before they would issue the building permit. If the builder is going to flow through these charges to the purchaser there is not likely to be an update in the capped amount.

The City of Toronto Pamphlet referenced only gives amounts for the City Development Charges. There are Education Development Charges collected by the City at building permit issuance and remitted to the Boards of Education.

The developer agreed to "cap " the charges because they were paid to the City before they would issue the building permit. If the builder is going to flow through these charges to the purchaser there is not likely to be an update in the capped amount.

I wasn't suggesting that the developer would update the capped amount. I was saying that if a person's purchase agreement didn't have a cap in it for development charges/educational dev. charges, that they would likely have to pay the rate in effect at the time the building permit was issued (Nov. 2008).

My cap was written into my purchase agreement in late 2005. It looks like a good deal compared to 2009 rates, and I'm guessing it is probably a good deal compared to the 2008 rates that would have been in effect when the building permit was issued, three years after my purchase agreement.

The City of Toronto Pamphlet referenced only gives amounts for the City Development Charges. There are Education Development Charges collected by the City at building permit issuance and remitted to the Boards of Education.

Right you are. Here is some more Google research....

See: http://www.toronto.ca/finance/education_development_charges04.htm

Again, "The education development charges are calculated, due and payable at the time of issuance of a building permit." (Paid by the developer, and then passed on to the purchaser at time of closing). The current rate, $544.00 per unit, has been in effect since August 25, 2008, so it would have been in effect at the time East was issued its building permit.

Does anyone have any new photos of the building?

From the last update, it sounded like they were expecting all the windows to be installed in the first 7 floors around this time.

Crane coming down over next few days, this from City website;
KING STREET – TORONTO AND EAST YORK DISTRICT
AT PRINCESS. Eastbound curb lane will be occupied due to crane removal.
START DATE: 6:00 P.M. Friday September 4th , 2009
COMPLETION DATE: 4:00 P.M. Monday September 7th , 2009
HOURS of WORK: CONTINUOUS
TRAFFIC IMPACT: MODERATE

Crane coming down over next few days, this from City website;
KING STREET – TORONTO AND EAST YORK DISTRICT
AT PRINCESS. Eastbound curb lane will be occupied due to crane removal.
START DATE: 6:00 P.M. Friday September 4th , 2009
COMPLETION DATE: 4:00 P.M. Monday September 7th , 2009
HOURS of WORK: CONTINUOUS
TRAFFIC IMPACT: MODERATE

When I met with the builder a few weeks ago they had some specs on the removal crane. It is pretty huge because of the location of the building crane on the site, the removal crane will have to reach over the building from Princess St. It would be nice to see some pics of this monster machine if anyone is around the site this weekend.

Back