innsertnamehere

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
City:
Toronto

Preliminary planning documents have been released for the redevelopment of the Eastgate Square mall in Hamilton. This will be directly adjacent to the terminal station for the LRT. Most of the existing mall would be retained, with the long vacant old Sears box demolished and redeveloped.

16 development blocks, with buildings of up to 42 storeys in height. The first few sites are pre-zoned and could proceed fairly quickly, with existing as-of-right zoning for up to 20 storeys already in place. A total of 5,162 units are proposed.

Eastgate-Square_Formal-Consultation-Package_2022-May-06_Page_12-1536x994.png

Eastgate-Square_Formal-Consultation-Package_2022-May-06_Page_12-ZOOM-Phasing-Site-Plan-1170x1103.png

Eastgate-Square_Formal-Consultation-Package_2022-May-06_Page_13-1170x757.png

Preliminary planning documents have been released for the redevelopment of the Eastgate Square mall in Hamilton. This will be directly adjacent to the terminal station for the LRT. Most of the existing mall would be retained, with the long vacant old Sears box demolished and redeveloped.

16 development blocks, with buildings of up to 42 storeys in height. The first few sites are pre-zoned and could proceed fairly quickly, with existing as-of-right zoning for up to 20 storeys already in place. A total of 5,162 units are proposed.

Eastgate-Square_Formal-Consultation-Package_2022-May-06_Page_12-1536x994.png

Eastgate-Square_Formal-Consultation-Package_2022-May-06_Page_12-ZOOM-Phasing-Site-Plan-1170x1103.png

Eastgate-Square_Formal-Consultation-Package_2022-May-06_Page_13-1170x757.png

I'm completely fine w/this scale of intensification here, but I'm not keen on keeping most of the old mall.

The east-west dimension of this site is ~380M that's just too large for a contiguous block unless there's one incredibly compelling reason, and the residual Eastgate Square ain't it.

But a material portion of the mall would have to be removed to support even one new North-south street through the entire site.

I'd really like to see one of the E-W roads line up w/what is now the E-W branch of Oakland (it really should get a different name from N-S road there).

Although not on the developer's property, I'd like to see the N-S portion of Oakland pushed through to Queenston and an opening made to provide access to Sam Moss Park from the west.

I'm happy to see the towers proposed with rectangular floor-plates instead of square ones, and am wondering if they are 750m² like in Toronto. I'm becoming increasingly disillusioned with the square ones based on how bad so many of the suite layouts are, and believe that you generally get more livable layouts with rectangular plates as suites typically don't have to go so deep in the building... so good!

This development was discussed far more heavily on SSP, but I've been focusing on posting here more than there. Do you know @innsertnamehere if the application for subdivision was approved?

A bit of google-fu shows this, current to Dec' 23:

1717788651036.png

A bit more gets me this:

1717788752253.png

1717788734240.png

From: https://www.hamilton.ca/sites/default/files/2024-01/staging-of-development-report-2024-2026.pdf

Back