Glazing.
IMG_0666.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0666.JPG
    IMG_0666.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 459
Hello there. Looks high quality, comes down to the bronze cladding however.

I'm curious how they're going to handle the streetcar overhead power wires. The old bridge kind of had them tacked on. Hopefully they've engineered that into the new design so it doesn't look out of place.

They've added a serious cross column to support the bridge on the Eaton Centre side. It kind of ruins the clean appearance of the bridge and the glass facade. I get that it's necessary but I hope that they make it as seamless as possible. Perhaps an opaque glazing cladding to blend it in? The rendering is short on real world details like this.

IMG_0670.JPG
IMG_0671.JPG

EDIT: It appears as though the bridge floor will connect to this cross column and hide it with curved glazing.

1150-91598.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_0670.JPG
    IMG_0670.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 475
  • IMG_0671.JPG
    IMG_0671.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 461
I'm curious how they're going to handle the streetcar overhead power wires. The old bridge kind of had them tacked on. Hopefully they've engineered that into the new design so it doesn't look out of place.

From the TEYCC Report (Appendix B)

upload_2017-6-13_20-52-31.png

http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2016.TE14.67
http://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2016/te/bgrd/backgroundfile-90486.pdf

Doesn't look particularly engineered - it could be different as built though. Appendix B also contains the floor plans and the structural changes to be made - the beam is expected since they are shifting the bridge to align with the centre of the atrium and it needs a landing.

AoD

Attachments

• upload_2017-6-13_20-52-31.png
    upload_2017-6-13_20-52-31.png
    157.4 KB · Views: 454
Last edited:
What was tacked onto it is basically a cover pate to keep the wire from touching the bridge when a streetcar goes under it. And also when a pole comes off too. If you look at all the other bridges and even the underground streetcar stations they all have similar pates over the wire too. The TTC will probably put a new one in place once they are able to put in the new wires on Queen street.

Today, more glazing on the bridge.
IMG_2797.jpg
IMG_2796.jpg
IMG_2795.jpg
IMG_2794.jpg
IMG_2793.jpg
IMG_2792.jpg
IMG_2791.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2797.jpg
    IMG_2797.jpg
    494.3 KB · Views: 437
  • IMG_2796.jpg
    IMG_2796.jpg
    327.4 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_2795.jpg
    IMG_2795.jpg
    418.2 KB · Views: 420
  • IMG_2794.jpg
    IMG_2794.jpg
    422 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_2793.jpg
    IMG_2793.jpg
    398.3 KB · Views: 400
  • IMG_2792.jpg
    IMG_2792.jpg
    398.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMG_2791.jpg
    IMG_2791.jpg
    379.7 KB · Views: 400
Woah that's some interesting curves on that glass! Almost acting like plexi the way it bends.

I was about to post a bunch of pics but I guess I don't have to. @Benito did a good photo summary for today.

It's all hands on deck right now. There are about a dozen guys inside and out and all around the structure simultaneously working on several parts, screwing in bolts, preparing to lift glazing into place.

This is going to look really interesting when done. Right now, it looks like a twisted plastic bottle with the glazing on different facets creating a cool twisted effect. Once the bronze cladding is on, it'll look a lot cleaner.

IMG_0847.JPG

I just asked one guy on site where the streetcar cables are going to connect. He said that the entire bottom would be glass and didn't think the power cables would connect anywhere. Not sure if he's wrong but I'm looking at the middle and I too don't see any connections for the cables. Maybe the glass will insulate the bridge and it won't require any protection from powered wires. Maybe the bridge will twist in a way that creates enough room to run the overhead wires under it without touching.

Attachments

• IMG_0847.JPG
    IMG_0847.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 444
Last edited:
I've since found the connections for the streetcar overhead wires. I hope the guy who told me there aren't any isn't the one responsible for assembling the bridge.
IMG_0852.JPG
IMG_0856.JPG

They're mounted high up in the body well above the curve so I think we can expect some sort of poles, pressing down on the wires to keep them away from the bridge.

Also, note the opaque glass where it starts to go below the bridge. I was hoping for something frosted but still transparent. Maybe they'll light up the bottom.

IMG_0865.JPG

Attachments

• IMG_0852.JPG
    IMG_0852.JPG
    790.3 KB · Views: 441
  • IMG_0856.JPG
    IMG_0856.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 429
  • IMG_0861.JPG
    IMG_0861.JPG
    858 KB · Views: 288
  • IMG_0865.JPG
    IMG_0865.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 432
I just asked one guy on site where the streetcar cables are going to connect. He said that the entire bottom would be glass and didn't think the power cables would connect anywhere. Not sure if he's wrong but I'm looking at the middle and I too don't see any connections for the cables. Maybe the glass will insulate the bridge and it won't require any protection from powered wires. Maybe the bridge will twist in a way that creates enough room to run the overhead wires under it without touching.
If that's the case then it clearly shows that they din't consult with the TTC when the designed this thing taht or whoever designed it wasn't informed of it having to cross a street with streetcar wires under it. What's net we find out during a big snowstorm that that they didn't take into account the weight of snow and Ice on it or we have Ice falling off of it and the street has to be closed because of falling ice.

If that's the case then it clearly shows that they din't consult with the TTC when the designed this thing taht or whoever designed it wasn't informed of it having to cross a street with streetcar wires under it. What's net we find out during a big snowstorm that that they didn't take into account the weight of snow and Ice on it

None of the above are true or even a remote possibility.

None of the above are true or even a remote possibility.
I was merely joking as apparently when the crystal was first designed for the ROM they forgot to take into account the weight of snow on the roof. I may be mistaken on that but I believe I herd it somewhere. Plus the structure ended up looking very different then the original model showed.

Last edited:
I was merely joking as apparently when the crystal was first designed for the room they fort to take into account the weight of snow on the roof.

Do you mean the ROM? Because that is also not true. I think you underestimate the number of checks and balances in the design process. Snow loads are a very basic part of a Canadian architect's understanding of structure.

Do you mean the ROM? Because that is also not true. I think you underestimate the number of checks and balances in the design process. Snow loads are a very basic part of a Canadian architect's understanding of structure.
yeah I meant the ROM. I just figured that was the reason why the design of it changed so much from the models to the end result. I thought originally it had more glass in it and less aluminum or rather none at all.

Back