I heard about that condo tower proposal several years ago from a CF insider.... At the time, they were leaning towards office uses or a hotel. The same concept is proposed for their Vancouver mall as well.

The whole theme of the Eaton Centre was "cutting edge modern shopping downtown". As much as preservationists may hate it, Eaton Centre needs to keep evolving to keep up to that concept. The mall was looking very tired in the face of updates at other malls across the city, most notably Yorkdale.

I'll one day miss the original railings, but in this case, a fresh look and feel beats nostalgia.

The whole theme of the Eaton Centre was "cutting edge modern shopping downtown". As much as preservationists may hate it, Eaton Centre needs to keep evolving to keep up to that concept. The mall was looking very tired in the face of updates at other malls across the city, most notably Yorkdale.

I'll one day miss the original railings, but in this case, a fresh look and feel beats nostalgia.

If that's the case, then no malls, shopping plazas, whatever should be held hostage to heritage laws. And beyond that, as we learned from the preservation movement back in the day, don't discount rediscovering/restoring-the-old as a form of "evolution"...

I haven't seen the new railings, but I have to go with MetroMan on this one.

Except, this critical highlighted tripwire...

So? If you know you're gonna miss them so much, think a little preemptively. "A fresh look and feel" screams out short-sighted twerpsville which deserves the twerpiness beaten out of the joint...

Just as I miss the 80s. Some things move on and leave nostalgia in their place, but it doesn't mean that we all have to keep on wearing shoulder pads and neon colours.

I certainly don't think adding glass panels is "cutting edge and modern" and if you feel the eaton centre is dated, well, what about it was dated? Back it up with something. I think it's a pretty timeless design.

I certainly don't think adding glass panels is "cutting edge and modern" and if you feel the eaton centre is dated, well, what about it was dated? Back it up with something. I think it's a pretty timeless design.

How do you "prove" something is outdated? How do you "prove" shoulder pads are out? Fashion isn't much about proof so much about feeling. And people can buck a trend and bring something back. Eaton Centre feels dated. Maybe not to you, but to a lot of people. Clearly the owners of TEC (CadFair) agreed.

How do you "prove" something is outdated? How do you "prove" shoulder pads are out? Fashion isn't much about proof so much about feeling. And people can buck a trend and bring something back. Eaton Centre feels dated. Maybe not to you, but to a lot of people. Clearly the owners of TEC (CadFair) agreed.

Yeah, but judging from their living environments--and as a Mississaugan, you oughta know--perhaps said "lot of people" are too much the idiot hack amateur to be judging architectural importance. Whether in the new stuff they live in, or the old stuff they shortsightedly disfigure through EIFS-ification...

When Sherway Gardens looked when it opened, it had a lot of distinctive original interior design which was destroyed in favour of considerably blander yet still upscale look. It must have been deemed dated at some point, but today would have looked great. Sometimes, it's sensible to go against the feeling and think things through. Or at least keep enhancing the old to make the interior seem improved and more upscale without gutting it and starting over again.

Thus my recommended "preemptive" approach.

mcmaster.jpg

I'd hate to imagine how those "Eaton Centre is dated" types would seek to adulterate/"improve" Zeidler's McMaster HSC.

Yeah, but judging from their living environments--and as a Mississaugan, you oughta know--perhaps said "lot of people" are too much the idiot hack amateur to be judging architectural importance. Whether in the new stuff they live in, or the old stuff they shortsightedly disfigure through EIFS-ification...

I think you're getting your panties all tied up in a knot over nothing. Not everyone possesses adequate knowledge to fully appreciate and understand the complexities of architecture and its relation to the urban fabric. "Idiot hack amateurs" seems a little brash. Regardless though adma, you obviously possess a very broad knowledge of this city's architectural history and a genuine appreciation for the conservation of differing architectural forms. I'm guessing you feel it's erroneous to take away from the modernist-era qualities which currently define the Eaton's Centre, thus reducing its architectural and historical significance. Or do the re-development plans lack adequate architectural foresight? I'm not terribly familiar with the overall plans.

I fail to see what being a Mississaugan has to do with any of this. Did I bring Mississauga into this? No I did not. Judging a person based on where they live is just as bad as judging someone because they're gay or because they're brown.

Of course that doesn't stop "416ers" from judging "905ers" to make them feel as if they're more cosmopolitan somehow than their "suburban" brethren. Of course that's utterly false when you look at the polls showing how well Ford is doing.

Back