Today:
IMG_5140.jpg

Driving eastbound along the Gardiner at 4:30 p.m. yesterday this thing looked dope and it distracted from some older, less thrilling buildings in the area. Really caps things off well.

If a person hadn't visited (or read the Wikipedia article about) Toronto before, I wouldn't blame them for thinking that this was the downtown skyline.

It just needs some bloody variation in colour. The glass is all the same with the buildings there.

It just needs some bloody variation in colour. The glass is all the same with the buildings there.

I think you are correct that HBS could certainly do with some variation in colour. Judging by both the renders and the cladding that has already been installed on the balconies, this will eventually happen to a certain degree with these two towers. The balcony covering will make the structure appear white for the most part, with terracotta accents. This will differ significantly from other buildings in the area. Still,there is a certain monochromatic dullness to the area as a whole on a winter’s day.

I do enjoy the view of HBS coming west on the Gardiner. The three sail like crowns of Beyond the Sea (still a contender for the most ridiculous name for a condo in the GTA) and then the ski jump crown of Eau du Soleil draw the eye gracefully upward to the peak of the tallest tower.

I’d like to see something similar material wise to The Shelby
Something like this from the firm (Allies + Morrison) that have been hired by First Capital to master plan the Kraft Bakery lands might work
I got to talk to Allies + Morrison reps during the Kraft Bakery redevelopment public consultation a couple of months ago. They gave me an indication that they are not going to continue littering this area with bland grey spandrel window-wall construction. I am very optimistic that they will bring top-notch architecture to the heart of HBS. Too bad it will not be for another 2 years+ that they can even propose a secondary plan for their site.

Ugh, why?
These are the conservative timelines they have shared publicly. They are currently in the process of getting this site rezoned from Employment Lands to Regeneration Area, but the ward councilor Mark Grimes passed a bylaw preventing any residential from being built on this site before the transportation and other infrastructure issues are resolved. More details in the front page story here. First Capital and Allies + Morrison are more than willing to dedicate some of their lands to Park Lawn GO station, transit hub, daycare, etc. However, they anticipate that sorting all this out and making a deal with the City for Regeneration rezoning will drag for a couple of years.
Anyway, this is off-topic for this thread. The point being is that Eau du Soleil will stay the only prominent landmark in the area for a few years before Allies + Morrison finally get to build their (hopefully) masterpieces across the street.

I do wonder though what kind of height precedents Eau du Soleil is setting here.

I would be okay with Eau du Soleil remaining as the tallest towers in the area. I would rather see the Kraft Bakery redevelopment opt for greater density across the entire site over concentrated density at tall building heights.

Back