Demolition has commenced at the motel on site...interesting quote would almost indicate the towers will be 72S and 50S...

http://www.insidetoronto.com/news-story/1315239-final-farewell-bid-to-iconic-lakeshore-motel-strip/

To me that's not so much an interesting quote as it is a badly worded one. Journalists, planners, clerks at City Hall, marketers often get the distinction wrong. It's something we pay a lot of attention to on UrbanToronto because we care about these things. One would think that others involved with reporting building heights would spend more time getting it right too.

There will be no new buildings directly to the west of this.

Of course not, however, it will be surrounded by many buildings in other directions.

There's lots more coming in the area, but there will be nothing directly east or south of Eau du Soleil. Who knows, maybe someday the Esso gas station to the southwest will be redeveloped, but until such time the southwest view will persist. The next buildings to the west will be Onni's Westlake Village towers and Empire's existing Beyond the Sea beyond the Mimico. To the southwest the closest buildings are 'Marina Del Ray' past Humber Bay Park. To the northeast will be Jade Waterfront. To the north, who knows what will happen at the Christie Biscuits factory site.

It's getting a little "towers in the park" out there. Any developer daring to try instal some retail or commercial space?

Eau du Soleil will have quite a bit of retail. When you've got 110 floors above, you've got critical mass. Westlake will have the most down there I believe, while every other development down there gets at least a bit. It has not been forgotten in the area.

Most of the development lots along Lake Shore are being split three ways. The portion closest to the lake and the middle portion will typically stagger having a point tower and a mid-rise building (to allow views through to the lake and beyond) and then the portion on Lake Shore gets a low-rise commercial building.

Yea that article the star released a couple of months ago complained that there is no retail down here, and that all development must be put on hold until a regional plan is worked out. One of the articles major complaints was that there was no grocery store. I sort of laughed at the article as west lake will be bringing a grocery store and much more, while the other projects proposed will bring lots of retail such as resturaunts. While there is no current retail down here, there is much to come.

There are a bunch of restaurants (three?) going in to South Beach next year, there are already two quite successful ones in the area, and they are prominent in plans for complexes like Ocean Club.

There's a Tim Horton's on Park Lawn north of the Gardiner.

i42, 66 stories happening for sure? Reps in sales office saying otherwise. I figure it's because the vast majority of them are clueless, but just wanted to know - I thought Empire announced it on Oct 23 or whenever the most recent launch happened.

Also, they are only selling the bigger tower so far, right?

tweeted today by @EauDuSoleil there will be a 66th floor 'Skylounge' in the tallest tower.....

i42, 66 stories happening for sure? Reps in sales office saying otherwise. I figure it's because the vast majority of them are clueless, but just wanted to know - I thought Empire announced it on Oct 23 or whenever the most recent launch happened.

Also, they are only selling the bigger tower so far, right?

tweeted today by @EauDuSoleil there will be a 66th floor 'Skylounge' in the tallest tower.....

Yup, the 66th floor skylounge is in all of their sales literature.

Yea that article the star released a couple of months ago complained that there is no retail down here, and that all development must be put on hold until a regional plan is worked out. One of the articles major complaints was that there was no grocery store. I sort of laughed at the article as west lake will be bringing a grocery store and much more, while the other projects proposed will bring lots of retail such as resturaunts. While there is no current retail down here, there is much to come.

Metro confirmed at Westlake.

some newer looking renderings in the Star...

f7f82a274c18ab7da05e080b47b7.jpg

more details....."To accentuate this cascading effect, Eau Du Soleil will have a U-shaped line running from the sloped top of one tower, into the base, and curving back up to the top of the second tower. The line will be emphasized through the use of thicker white metal cladding along the bottom of the glass railings on one side, and thinner orange metal cladding on the other side of the line.

“And we’ve got a fibreoptic lights running along that shape,” El-Khatib notes, “so at night you’ll see very faint blue lights that will describe the shape.”

article here...http://www.thestar.com/living/realestate/condos/article/1302373--a-striking-addition-to-the-etobicoke-waterfront

Last edited:
I love it when developers are ambitious about architecture and pay close attention to design details. It looks like it could be sublime in that rendering with the striking paving, V columns, wood panels for the ceiling (or something to that effect), and the whimsical lights.

That sounds like it's going to be very awesome. I hope it turns out to look just as awesome as it sounds.

None of the new renderings give a good impression of the lighting effect at night. This would be the closest (and as you can see, it tells you pretty much nothing about that.)

EauDSLakeView750.jpg

A pile of new renderings will appear in the dataBase entry this afternoon.

Back