IMG_8375 2.JPG
    228.3 KB · Views: 514
  • IMG_8374 2.JPG
    IMG_8374 2.JPG
    232.3 KB · Views: 489
  • IMG_8342.JPG
    IMG_8342.JPG
    154.1 KB · Views: 479
Not to be "that guy", but this looks even better in-person; I was by on the weekend for the first time in a long while and an unexpected virtue of the design is the degree to which it opens up the corner on which it sits. It's a bit counter-intuitive that a 58-storey building could lessen the built form impact on a corner, but that's the power of good design.

I agree with other comments that this is looking much better in person.

Anyone else feel though that it is slightly inappropriate for the corner of Yonge and Eglinton?

Like, I feel both 1BE and The One at Bloor&Yonge have way more meat to it in terms of use. It is nice that this is setback from the street, but ultimately, this is just a condo with some grade-level retail and bank.

I guess if you consider what was there before it's not a massive loss of real-estate.

I guess if you consider what was there before it's not a massive loss of real-estate.
Compared to before, that is correct.

But this is supposed to be the interchange of two rapid transit lines, and one of the city's more important sub-centres. The legacy of what was there before when the area was merely a streetcar suburb shouldn't be the basis of what is built today, looking towards the future and in context of The Big Move + Places to Grow.

I don't know. I feel like I am also lamenting about the general decline in office space in the neighbourhood. I don't want Yonge+Eglinton to develop as a bedroom community for downtown when the opportunity is there to build a vibrant urban city centre, and if there is a specific place to get things done 'right' in the area, one place for that would be at the 4 corners of Yonge and Eglinton.

But I also recognize that the market at the moment favours condo construction over offices.

The City has been holding up the redevelopment of sites in the area unless there is replacement office space in the new buildings, so we shouldn't see anymore loss. I know what you mean though — I'd like to see more office space here. Maybe some day the TTC will move into a new tower at the SW corner? I'd also like to see the upward extension of the Yonge Eglinton Centre happen, but neither of those are happening anytime soon.

The City has been holding up the redevelopment of sites in the area unless there is replacement office space in the new buildings, so we shouldn't see anymore loss. I know what you mean though — I'd like to see more office space here. Maybe some day the TTC will move into a new tower at the SW corner? I'd also like to see the upward extension of the Yonge Eglinton Centre happen, but neither of those are happening anytime soon.

The entire south west corner (Canada Square & Eglinton Bus Bays) of the site could potentially be a game-changer.

I assume that will be developed by BuildTO (or rather, CreateTO as it is branded now) in conjunction with Oxford as opposed to just a private developer looking for biggest profit.

I hope the political climate is in place to allow the TTC to move to a new headquarters in that site.

I hope the political climate is in place to allow the TTC to move to a new headquarters in that site.
Well sooner or later they're not going to have a choice whether or not they relocate or not. Their current headquarters is literally crumbling apart, and I wouldn't be surprised if some parts of the building are deemed "unsafe to work in" in the near future.

Anyways the one thing I will say about this site is that it was definitely a prime spot for some office space, or even a lot more retail space. That's the big missing piece in this development regardless of if Eglinton-Centre is right across the street.

Back