Honestly I didn't know they staggered the launches like they do for twin tunnel boring machines.

Also, I really hope they put a map of progress in the website, it'll make for a good visual aid.
I thought they did both TBM At the same time as the pit area was empty in June when I last saw it. There was 2 TBM in various stages being built when I had my first look at the site.

It common to open things up in phases to get something up and running ASP when its a long and stage from day one.

Very common practice, with tunneling you are going in blind (even with drilling to test soil you can get unexpected stuff) so they stagger so they can more easily do the second tunnel. Its not uncommon to do a "pilot" tunnel on larger projects as was seen on the chunnel and Metro Construciton in Italy where a smaller tunnel is built first to make constructing the larger one easier.

I wonder whetherthe City’s new Policy on Commemorating Public Spaces will be followed - or just disregarded by ML.

- Paul
I’m not too sure how this applies? Station naming by MX usually goes off of the adjacent communities near stations. Names like “Richview” and “Princess Gardens” are likely, as they clearly denote the surrounding area.

I’m not too sure how this applies? Station naming by MX usually goes off of the adjacent communities near stations. Names like “Richview” and “Princess Gardens” are likely, as they clearly denote the surrounding area.

If you maintain a strict provincial-municipal distinction, then it likely won’t apply, but if you view Crosstown as municipally governed infrastructure, then it will likely need to apply, or at least be recognized by ML as the municipality’s preferred way of choosing names describing that surrounding area in that municipality.

- Paul

They want the entire Eg West to be ATO which can't be done if they placed it side by side or in the middle on Eglinton with no fencing.
Sorry, to be more clear: The City's Eglinton Crosstown east is now being planned as not contiguous with the central Crosstown. My understanding was that Crosstown west would be an extension of the central Crosstown, therfore using the same vehicles with continuous service Airport <-> Kennedy. If that's the case, it doesn't make sense to have ATO on west, because they couldn't run ATO on the eastern segment of central Crosstown. So the inclusion of ATO makes me wonder if they plan to separate the service: Crosstown west, central, east. That just seems strange.

Sorry, to be more clear: The City's Eglinton Crosstown east is now being planned as not contiguous with the central Crosstown. My understanding was that Crosstown west would be an extension of the central Crosstown, therfore using the same vehicles with continuous service Airport <-> Kennedy. If that's the case, it doesn't make sense to have ATO on west, because they couldn't run ATO on the eastern segment of central Crosstown. So the inclusion of ATO makes me wonder if they plan to separate the service: Crosstown west, central, east. That just seems strange.
I don't see any reason they can't use ATO on part of the line - after all they've been operating part of Line 1 as ATO for years, without the whole line being completed.

Didn't they install ATO in Waterloo? Offhand, I can't think of any stretches there without intersections or pedestrian crossings. So how does that work?

I don't see any reason they can't use ATO on part of the line - after all they've been operating part of Line 1 as ATO for years, without the whole line being completed.

Didn't they install ATO in Waterloo? Offhand, I can't think of any stretches there without intersections or pedestrian crossings. So how does that work?
True ATC is active on parts of Line 1, but they will be getting to full ATC to enable the shorter headways. Probably not ATO though, at least not with current labor agreements. I suppose it is good to future proof it for ATO, but you'd need technology to be a few steps ahead of where it is now to allow ATO on the surface segment of crosstown. And I don't think they'd switch back and forth, because then the operator is just sitting there for >70% of their operating time. The only way they could run ATO in the short-term is from Leaside west.

True ATC is active on parts of Line 1, but they will be getting to full ATC to enable the shorter headways. Probably not ATO though, at least not with current labor agreements. I suppose it is good to future proof it for ATO, but you'd need technology to be a few steps ahead of where it is now to allow ATO on the surface segment of crosstown. And I don't think they'd switch back and forth, because then the operator is just sitting there for >70% of their operating time. The only way they could run ATO in the short-term is from Leaside west.
I'd assume that if it's ATO it can do both, with the operator still closing the doors.

Still, I'm curious what Waterloo is doing

If that's the case, it doesn't make sense to have ATO on west, because they couldn't run ATO on the eastern segment of central Crosstown. So the inclusion of ATO makes me wonder if they plan to separate the service: Crosstown west, central, east. That just seems strange.
The original Crosstown will use ATO west of the Brentcliffe portal (from Laird to Mount Dennis), and switch over to ATP east of there until Kennedy. This can all be done without any kind of service splitting. The Eglinton West extension will just extend the ATO zone west to Renforth.

As far as I know, the ION is manually driven but uses ATP to protect from collisions on the shared freight tracks (source).

Martin Grove

IMG_1808.JPG

As far as I know, the ION is manually driven but uses ATP to protect from collisions on the shared freight tracks (source).
The shared freight track that is used at best once a day during the nighttime, and that moves so slowly there's someone out walking ahead of the train through all the intersections. I've never seen more than 3 or 4 freight cars on that train.

Looks like the application of a rule book has trumped common sense.

Exactly why Line 5 needs to end at Science Centre Station, with the elimination of the at-grade crossing at Sunnybrook Park. Then Line 5 could be ATO and Line 7 would be the tramway operations.

Exactly why Line 5 needs to end at Science Centre Station, with the elimination of the at-grade crossing at Sunnybrook Park. Then Line 5 could be ATO and Line 7 would be the tramway operations.
Why would this transfer be advantageous? They will be able to turn trains around at Laird if schedules aren't being maintained on the surface portion.

Why would this transfer be advantageous? They will be able to turn trains around at Laird if schedules aren't being maintained on the surface portion.
Great, we deliberately broke the connection with the Ontario Line because we decided to create a 15 billion dollar streetcar and placed a station at Sunnybrook with less ridership than Bessarion

But that would mean deprioritizing cars and Toronto is such a unique city that transit priority would never work here

Back