So we're just going to ignore the city's lack of willingness to rezone areas of the suburbs?
Look at downtown:
View attachment 234441
People can build there because the current zoning bylaws allow for it.

Even in old Toronto, they have zoned the major transportation corridors for High-Density Commercial/Residential.
View attachment 234442

But Sheppard Avenue?
View attachment 234443

How about Spadina Line Subway stations?
View attachment 234448

It's worth noting that yellow areas generally correlate to height restrictions of 10m (3 stories) on Spadina and Sheppard, but 12-16m downtown.

Frontage limits also heavily influence the density of the surroundings.

People want to live where it's affordable and safe. I'd live closer to my work along the Spadina subway if rent wasn't 2.5K a month up there. It's not like downtown is the most expensive place in the city
Developers when they want to build something they challenge zones all the time and often win. The fact that they aren't pushing their developer clout makes me question if there is a demand. Which is why I think just because you have a subway stop at Mccowan and Eglinton there is not much to make me believe all of a sudden people will want to move there.

Developers when they want to build something they challenge zones all the time and often win. The fact that they aren't pushing their developer clout makes me question if there is a demand. Which is why I think just because you have a subway stop at Mccowan and Eglinton there is not much to make me believe all of a sudden people will want to move there.
Odd, I find that most people I know would live in a condo along Sheppard or any other subway corridor in North york, Scarborough, or Etobicoke if the rents weren't so high.

Developers will always do what is most profitable for them. Building in an area generally filled with high-rises means they are less likely to be affected by lawsuits, and since they're downtown, they have the benefit of being able to add charges for "luxury housing".

If Vaughan Metropolitan Centre, which has higher property taxes and far more incentives for development is able to build 50 story buildings and charge 250 $/month for parking (I could get a spot in my building in St. James' Town for 150 $/month without negotiations), why shouldn't Sheppard, or any other suburban/sparsely populated area?

If that capacity was needed, it would have come up a long time ago.

The whole reason for building the crosstown was to increase transit capacity, reliability, and speed on Eglinton.

Which is still accomplished by leaving the LRT on the surface in Etobicoke, for much less money, and will even have higher ridership according to Metrolinx.
Only because it has twice the number of stations. It's no better than the Eglinton West bus if it's on the surface there (I would have vouched for Elevated).

Only because it has twice the number of stations. It's no better than the Eglinton West bus if it's on the surface there (I would have vouched for Elevated).

A surface LRT will still be passing all the single-occupant motor vehicles stuck in the traffic on Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke.

A surface LRT will still be passing all the single-occupant motor vehicles stuck in the traffic on Eglinton Avenue West in Etobicoke.
Until it hits an intersection because this city cannot get the concept of Signal Priority, or worse, a car hits the train because people can't drive in this city either.

Randy’s at Oakwood has the best patties in the city, and the Crosstown will function as a funnel between there and my house. Love it.

That's assuming that they aren't gentrified out of the neighbourhood. The whole character of the street could drastically change after the Crosstown opens.

Just wait till the annoyed motorist starts driving on the tracks and cause a collision at the intersection.

So much fear mongering about bad Toronto drivers. Like most people I watch the news every day. I don't remember many if any times a car ran into a street car. Also I drive or jog down st clair every day and have yet to see a car on the streetcar row.

It would be infinitely better than the current or future Eglinton West bus. It will be much faster, and in the future will allow for a one-seat ride.

Dan

19-150 - RFQ for DBF - Advance Tunnel for Eglinton Crosstown West Extension

DESCRIPTION
The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension project (“ECWE”) is a part of the Greater Toronto and Hamilton Area region’s Frequent Rapid Transit Network. The proposed full extent of the corridor extends along Eglinton Avenue West from the western end of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT at Mount Dennis, then north to Toronto Pearson International Airport at Renforth Station. This corridor serves the growing bidirectional travel demand across the region’s urban growth centres and employment hubs of midtown Toronto, downtown Mississauga and the Pearson Airport Area.

The Eglinton Crosstown West Extension will be delivered by way of an advance tunnel contract (the “Advance Tunnel Contract”, or the “Project”) for the underground portion of the alignment between Scarlett Road and Renforth Drive, followed by a subsequent contract to construct the stations and other facilities, fit-out the tunnel, and install and commission the systems . The Sponsors (Infrastructure Ontario and Metrolinx) are seeking to procure a private sector group to deliver the Advance Tunnel through a Design-Build-Finance (“DBF”) delivery method pursuant to the Private Public Partnership (“P3”) model.

Please see the RFQ document for full details.

This pretty much confirms that Option 4 was selected
1583510434259.png

My apologies if this has already been established and I've missed it

Back