Paclo

Administrator
Staff member
Member Bio
Reaction score
Erin Glen: a proposed mixed-use subdivision of detached & semi-detached homes, townhouses, seniors housing, affordable housing, commercial buildings, educational buildings and public space developed by Solmar Development Corp on the northeast corner of Side Road 15 and 10 Line in Erin.

Renderings from Solmar:
sitemap.jpg

3602a.jpg
erin-glenn-semi-carousel-img-min-p-1080.jpg
Semi_Wellington_A.jpg
Townhouse_A.jpg

Erin Glen Brochure-63.jpg

Erin Glen Brochure-64.jpg

It seems like every small town northwest of the GTA has some scale of large subdivision proposal these days. Here, Dundalk, Shelbourne, Bond Head, etc.

Love to see more subdivision proposals like this on Urbantoronto. To show area growth around the GTAH and the Golden Horseshoe region cool!

So you want more endless sprawl? Ugh. Disagree in the strongest possible terms.

So you want more endless sprawl? Ugh. Disagree in the strongest possible terms.
I think you might have misunderstood.

Speaking for myself, I would "like" to see more subdivisions covered on Urban Toronto even though I would love to see less of such developments taking place. It is good to track and know where these are happening. Keep your enemy close and whatnot.

I think you might have misunderstood.

Speaking for myself, I would "like" to see more subdivisions covered on Urban Toronto even though I would love to see less of such developments taking place. It is good to track and know where these are happening. Keep your enemy close and whatnot.
That's what I was trying to put across. Is by having urbantoronto create a different page or section on subdivision or other land expansion in any areas across the Golden Horseshoe. Monitoring what's going into it and debating the pros and cons of these developments like we always do on buildings etc!

One of the most important parts of urban planning is sustainability. This is just about everything sustainability is not. I'm looking at that strip of commercial and... business park?? seething at the thought of the concrete desert that would be.

Developers who want to develop in that area should focus on Orangeville and Barrie, cities that actually want to grow and are willing to put energy and resources into it. Developments like these absolutely tank little communities like this. Look at Binbrook for a great example of that.

The residentials proposed here are dated, garish and everything wrong with sprawl...so I would like to see less of these, not more. >.<

The residentials proposed here are dated, garish and everything wrong with sprawl...so I would like to see less of these, not more. >.<
How do you want sprawl to happen? Please don't say you don't want it to happen at all because it's inevitable. There's about 5 million more people expected here in the Greater Golden Horseshoe in the next 20 to 25 years, and they can't all live in condos. As far as the new subdivisions getting built in the Greater Golden Horseshoe today . The homes are built so close together it's disgusting no privacy lol. More worse than places like las Vegas, Phoenix and LA booming metro areas as seen on Google Earth. Bottom line is just take a look at how Erin's old standard subdivisions lots. Are spaced out compared to this proposal in the first photo up above. The developers are really getting there money's worth not the buyers.

How do you want sprawl to happen? Please don't say you don't want it to happen at all because it's inevitable. There's about 5 million more people expected here in the Greater Golden Horseshoe in the next 20 to 25 years, and they can't all live in condos. As far as the new subdivisions getting built in the Greater Golden Horseshoe today . The homes are built so close together it's disgusting no privacy lol. More worse than places like las Vegas, Phoenix and LA booming metro areas as seen on Google Earth. Bottom line is just take a look at how Erin's old standard subdivisions lots. Are spaced out compared to this proposal in the first photo up above. The developers are really getting there money's worth not the buyers.
This is indefensible on so many levels.... you're defending modern sprawl because it's somehow less sprawly nowadays and besides, developers are burning clients more? Sprawl is horrible for efficiency of infrastructure and necessary services. Yet you think that situation beats increasing the amount of towers and mid-rise in the city cores because "we can't all live in condos." What? What? Do you work for Doug Ford, perchance?

How do you want sprawl to happen? Please don't say you don't want it to happen at all because it's inevitable.

There is nothing inevitable about it. This is not a biological or scientific process. It's a policy choice.

There's about 5 million more people expected here in the Greater Golden Horseshoe in the next 20 to 25 years, and they can't all live in condos

We don't have to allow one more person. For the record, I'm not suggesting, even remotely that we suppress all immigration; but I am making the point, the amount of growth we choose to experience is just that, a policy choice.

. As far as the new subdivisions getting built in the Greater Golden Horseshoe today . The homes are built so close together it's disgusting no privacy lol.

Then don't build subdivisions. I'm inclined to agree by the way, insofar as the reason you want an SFH in order to have a fulsome backyard, and a sense of privacy, most modern subdivisions disappoint. That is not, however, a compelling reason to build even more sprawl.

More worse than places like las Vegas, Phoenix and LA booming metro areas as seen on Google Earth. Bottom line is just take a look at how Erin's old standard subdivisions lots. Are spaced out compared to this proposal in the first photo up above. The developers are really getting there money's worth not the buyers.

The land is worth a lot more money now, and you can be sure, in most cases, the developers have spent a lot more purchasing it.

To come back to an implicit question in your series of statements, is there any way to allow for more SFH construction, of a form that affords back yards, but yet doesn't contribute to sprawl?

The short answer is 'yes' there is; the longer answer, however, would add the caveats that:

a) Such housing will not be cheap, and will likely never be the possession of the middle class/working class family, only the upper middle class/rich need apply.

b) It will have to come largely at the expense of even more sprawly subdivisions of a previous era.

This parcel is ripe for intensification with an SFH format and large yards:

1676568714650.png

~64ha of land

Current density, appox. 1 home per ha

Density of nearby Don Mills, ~16 homes per ha.

So we could replace 65 homes with just over 1,000, or more likely 900 after factoring for a large new park.

However, given the cost of that assembly, expect to pay about 3M a pop for that new subdivision.

This is indefensible on so many levels.... you're defending modern sprawl because it's somehow less sprawly nowadays and besides, developers are burning clients more? Sprawl is horrible for efficiency of infrastructure and necessary services. Yet you think that situation beats increasing the amount of towers and mid-rise in the city cores because "we can't all live in condos." What? What? Do you work for Doug Ford, perchance?
Stop being one-sided on this topic. Not everyone wants to live in condos especially most new immigrants coming from other heavily populated countries. Expecting to live in a home with a white picked fence lol. And they'll go as far as the Niagara Region to look for an expencive old used home for some peace of mind! I've seen my niebourhood change with Torontonians coming to my place to live. And saying that they thought they can own a single home Canada but it's tough! Let's stop bringing lots of people in this country then for the sake of the land lol!

Let's stop bringing lots of people in this country then for the sake of the land lol!

Sure. If the choice is between the Goldenhorsehoe growing by 5M people and sacrificing the Greenbelt, I have no problem saying no to the people.

I don't think the choice is actually quite than binary, but if it must be, so be it.

Last edited:
It sure ain't as starkly binary as either-or and I think 'ole cd knows that - or I sure hope he does.

To say nothing of how Canada requires immigration as it's one of many Western countries whose population is rapidly aging while family sizes are dropping - the country is therefore exposed to the negative economic repercussions of that trend. No - obviously, it has to be sacrifice the Green belt and put up as many single family homes on crescent streets and cul-de-sacs as possible.

Back