95 KB · Views: 1,460
  • upload_2017-8-15_14-0-10.png
    upload_2017-8-15_14-0-10.png
    60.6 KB · Views: 1,430
  • upload_2017-8-15_14-0-27.png
    upload_2017-8-15_14-0-27.png
    256.2 KB · Views: 1,386
Update:
Changes are on the way to one of Evergreen Brick Works' most notable buildings, as Building 16 (better known as the Tunnel Kiln and Dryer Building) will be retrofitted to house a new Future Cities Centre, adding to the repertoire of urban-focused initiatives on the Evergreen campus in the heart of Toronto's Don Valley parks. Headed by Waverley Projects and designed by LGA Architectural Partners, upgrades to the Kiln Building include the construction of two classrooms, new entrances and washroom facilities, a new gallery and exhibition space, and improvements to the building systems and envelope.

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/investing-in-cultural-infrastructure-in-toronto-690244291.html

Government of Canada announces funding for Evergreen Brick Works

TORONTO, Aug. 7, 2018 /CNW/ - The Honourable Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism, today announced $6.5 million in funding for Evergreen Brick Works in Toronto.

Evergreen Brick Works, a Toronto landmark, is located on a former industrial site in the lower Don Valley. It has become a dynamic site for cultural, arts, and heritage activities, welcoming over 500,000 visitors annually.

This funding, made through the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund, will support the transformation of the Kiln Building into a sustainable venue for cultural programming. The revitalized heritage building will also include artist studios and meeting spaces, as well as enhanced public art installations.

Continued investments in cultural spaces help build dynamic and connected communities, allow local economies to grow, create spaces for our artists to collaborate and innovate, and give more Canadians opportunities to experience arts, culture and heritage activities.

In Budget 2016, the Government of Canada dedicated an additional $168.2 million to the Canada Cultural Spaces Fund over two years. This was followed by an additional $300 million for the fund over 10 years in Budget 2018 as part of the Investing in Canada Plan.

Quotes

"Our communities are stronger, more inclusive places when we have cultural spaces to create and gather together. Cultural infrastructure is also an important economic driver for our cities. By supporting the construction and renovation of cultural spaces, we are helping make arts and culture more accessible to Toronto residents and visitors, while also giving our artists and creators news spaces to thrive. Funding for renovations to cultural spaces at Evergreen Brick Works will increase the amount of cultural programming and public art on-site."

—The Honourable Pablo Rodriguez, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Multiculturalism

"Evergreen's Kiln Building redevelopment celebrates the industrial, cultural and natural heritage of the site and, once completed, will greatly expand and enhance the arts and culture production, presentation and exhibit spaces at Evergreen Brick Works. The centre will be global hub where the public can convene, learn and share ideas to help build flourishing cities of the future together."

— Geoffrey Cape, Chief Executive Officer, Evergreen

If there was a gondola, I think it would make the Brickworks more fun to visit. I would definitely take out-of-town visitors there, unless the prices were unreasonable. We need to do more to make our ravine areas accessible and enjoyable to visit, and a gondola would be a great idea to that end.

The Brickworks are truly a gem in the city, but is unfortunately not integrated into the city.

A gondola is not a good use of resources since there isn't enough of a cluster of uses to make it actively used, unless the Brickworks is an intermediary station and the gondola system connects to the other side of the Don Valley.

I think that improving the trail system (better paving, branding, visibility), and improving the cycling/pedestrian experience on Bayview would be good, affordable ways to approach it - Bayview needs to be calmed regardless and treated like an urban avenue, not a pseudo-highway.

Improvement of the 28 Bus (i.e. branding it as the 'Brickworks Bus' like the Zoo or Airport Bus would also be a bonus. I wonder if there's any possibility of making the Brickworks a terminus for any other bus routes?

Don't have any photos, but I'm looking for them and will post if I find any...........

A material portion of the middle to rear of the Brickworks park was flooded this week...........w/the pathways submerged.

The culprit............some Beavers!

They moved in and altered the waterflow a bit............

They didn't completely stop up the outflow......by blocking/damming it............

But they managed to change the way the silt flowed w/in the ponds...........and the silt then plugged a culvert.

I'm told that the flood water has now been drained ..............but as yet, the family in question has not been relocated.

Don't have any photos, but I'm looking for them and will post if I find any...........

A material portion of the middle to rear of the Brickworks park was flooded this week...........w/the pathways submerged.

The culprit............some Beavers!

They moved in and altered the waterflow a bit............

They didn't completely stop up the outflow......by blocking/damming it............

But they managed to change the way the silt flowed w/in the ponds...........and the silt then plugged a culvert.

I'm told that the flood water has now been drained ..............but as yet, the family in question has not been relocated.

Let's hope that there won't be a heavy-handed approach taken to demolish their dams... :(

So .............the beavers at the Brickworks are continuing to keep themselves busy.............

1607297285725.png

Taken a couple of weeks ago by a City staffer.

Those are self-seeded Cottonwoods that have been chewed down.

Nobody panic, the City/TRCA have caged the trees they feel are important to protect (and require said protection)

Back