There was a development application floating around a while ago for the lot next door. It was that great old building along king st w beside the gas station and the development called for the removal of that tacked on 1 story addition and creating some sort of glass atrium between the old building and a new modern addition to the rear.

Hmm... that big concrete wall doesn't look so good...

It's more apparent when you see it from the street, but aside from the design itself the panels are chipped and broken in spots, and don't seem to fit together all that smoothly. They're still working on putting them in place, maybe these things will be addressed in due course. I'm wondering if they knew when they designed this side of the building that it would soon be completely hidden by the east wall of the 570 King St W redevelopment?

It'll be hidden within 10 years--more condos by Freed imho.

Quite right; I'm not sure who the developer will be, but based on the architect drawings for 570 King W the west wall of 455 Adelaide will likely be hidden from view.

Photos taken January 14 from Adelaide St.

2193562455_ae5fc592ed_b.jpg

2193562463_b9c79b20f2_b.jpg

I can't wait to see this project completed. It will be a great building, prices will get crazy once all these Freed projects are finished, very close to what it is Yorkville right now

Yeah, this one coming together quite nicely. It was tough to originally see how it would fit into the lot, but it has done so quite nicely.

This neighbourhood is evolving quickly.

Has anyone else seen the recently added concrete panels on the east side of the building (photo's 1 & 2) from the street? Even from a distance they don't look particularly well matched.

455AdelaideStW-1.jpg

455AdelaideStW1-1.jpg

455AdelaideStW2-1.jpg

Gack! Tear down Speedy Express doubly quickly and hide that wall!

That looks really bad!

Agreed!

no doubt those panels will be painted

I had considered that, but I tried to think of examples of condo developments using painted pre-cast panels (either before or after installation) and couldn't come up with any.

But isn't that the final precast running up the corner?

I think you're right. The pieces they're using for the corner panels don't appear as bad (in terms of colour and condition) as the large panels.

Gack! Tear down Speedy Express doubly quickly and hide that wall!

Don't see that happening, at least not in the foreseeable future. I think someone commented elsewhere on the board that the owners of the abutting properties on Adelaide were approached in the initial land assembly stage but weren't interested in selling.

Something seems to have been lost between concept and execution. Hope I'm jumping the gun and some further process will improve the appearance, but I'm having doubts.

455AdelaideStWRendering.jpg

Hope I'm jumping the gun and some further process will improve the appearance, but I'm having doubts.

I hope we are all jumping the gun, cabeman. This project is quite urban, works well within its constrained lot, and improves that stretch of Adelaide - plus the windows on the Adelaide frontage are quite nice as Jayomatic mentioned earlier.

Hopefully something will be done with respect to those concrete panels.

I hope we are all jumping the gun, cabeman. This project is quite urban, works well within its constrained lot, and improves that stretch of Adelaide - plus the windows on the Adelaide frontage are quite nice as Jayomatic mentioned earlier.

Hopefully something will be done with respect to those concrete panels.

Indeed. Of course they're only there because the city prohibits having units face the property line...but maybe it's time that ordinance be extended somewhat to require cladding property-line surfaces in material similar to that used for the rest of the building. It certainly worked at the Met.

Back