This whole lit curtain "architectural" feature smacks of laziness and downright stupidity, primarily considering this is a residential development. If the developer/architect/whoever wanted splashes of red, why not just install panes of red glass? Hell, they could've given the glass frit or texture to replicate the wavy effect of curtains. Something other than this ham-fisted idea.

I suspect the rationale is that it's a sort of homage to the garment - er, fashion district.

…and I don't think as a resident I would want to be looking at the outside world through red windows.

Looks like they have to tone down that lighting however!

Yes, it's the quality and glare from the light that's the problem. LED lighting just doesn't have that nice, warm glow. I hate the quality of the new LED bulbs in lamps.

Yes, it's the quality and glare from the light that's the problem. LED lighting just doesn't have that nice, warm glow. I hate the quality of the new LED bulbs in lamps.

This isn't a problem with LED lighting, but with the choice that was made to light the curtains. LED lighting comes in a range of colour typically used indoors - temperatures from 2700 to 4000K. Like any other product out there, cheap, poor-quality versions can be acquired. You can also find high quality LED lamps. It's all what you are willing to spend.

In this instance, the warm red curtains, cooler lamp temperatures and slightly green-tinted glass make for a combination that doesn't work so well. What's more, with the curtain lighting turned off, windows with the curtains drawn look blacked out.

It looked like a neat idea on paper, unfortunately it may not look so great in reality. That said, we'll have to wait for this to be fully completed in order to see the complete effect.

LED lighting comes in a range of colour typically used indoors - temperatures from 2700 to 4000K.

As mentioned, "white" LEDs are blue LEDs with a yellow phosphor, they don't contain much red light, regardless of the colour temperature that they claim to be.
"White" LEDs using RGB triads should have been used here....or simply red LEDs.

Pic taken Feb 12, 2014

Laneway connecting King to Adelaide soon to be opened as the construction elevator was recently dismantled.

y6sy5qw.jpg

Excellant! I didn't know that this development was going to provide this connection. Will it have retail? Melbourne, here we come. YEAH!

It's a pity this is the driveway and not a pedestrian/sidewalk cafe zone. Planners should have insisted that Fashionhouse parking be accessed from Morrison. Also, driveways off of King have already proven to be problematic and should be minimized - heading East on King people accessing the driveway will be turning left across chaotic car and bike traffic a busy sidewalk. The 650 King and Victory loft driveways have already proven to be a hazard. Meanwhile Morrison offers the perfect access. If Morrison gets jammed because drivers behave like meandering and confused cattle, then eliminate the street parking on Morrison.

I swear planners in Toronto are retarded.

That is Morrison.

Your generalized comment regarding Toronto's planners is ridiculous.

That is Morrison.

Your generalized comment regarding Toronto's planners is ridiculous.

Thanks, tips, I know that's Morrison. But obviously I'm referring to Morrison street, accessed from Adelaide, not the driveway. And my comment about planners is anything but ridiculous. Planning in Toronto has a long-standing tradition of being ineffective. Toronto has the reputation for being practically laissez faire in it's approach.

Last edited:
The exact opposite actually, at least historically. Toronto's planning has traditionally been extremely strong armed. There is a reason we are the only city in NA not to rip up most if not all of our streetcar network.

There is a reason we are the only city in NA not to rip up most if not all of our streetcar network.

That's a different department. Our streetcars were saved by activists who convinced the TTC board to change their abandonment plans.

Freed reps have told me the laneway will be pedestrian only with patio area for the corner restaurant that will be opening. Vehicles accessing FashionHouse will have to go through Adelaide, there will be no vehicle access allowed from King St.

Back