Great photos drum118, I really like the curb appeal this project has! Great urban feel/incorporation

festival actually looks really grey/white in those photos. it ain't look too bad! it's nice from the usual greenish white look we get.

Starting next week, the Blue Room will shut on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays - a consequence of the fact that hardly anyone goes there, I think.

It will remain open on Thursdays and Fridays from 4:30 until 10:30 pm, and on weekends from 11:30 am until 10:30 pm. The Blue Room bar and food service will remain unavailable on weekends until 4:30 pm. though there's so little choice in beverages it hardly matters. It is still possible to bring in DVDs and screen them there, though - a friend and I will do so again later next week.

Unlike the ROM and AGO there is no members' discount at the eateries at Lightbox, or repeat admission to the special exhibitions ( I dropped in to see the ROM's fascinating Terracotta Army four times, for instance ). I took out a Lightbox membership this year in order to catch up on films that I've missed over the years, but probably shan't bother renewing in December - much as I like the comfortable theatres - since I doubt I'll go to enough screenings to make a membership economically worthwhile. The consensus among filmgoing friends is that, for the money, TIFF aren't offering much in return other than reductions in ticket prices.

What's the top floor used for? I'd really like to see what that room looks like. Does anybody have pics? That top floor was closed during the opening, so I never got to see it. It looks like it has some nice, high ceilings. I want to check out that roof too, which was also off limits on opening day.

What's the top floor used for? I'd really like to see what that room looks like. Does anybody have pics? That top floor was closed during the opening, so I never got to see it. It looks like it has some nice, high ceilings. I want to check out that roof too, which was also off limits on opening day.

I'm pretty sure that's the pool and amenity spaces for the condo residents. A good part of the roof deck is also for residents, though I'm not sure if it's exclusive use or not.

Further cutbacks at Lightbox: The Reference Library is open for 4 hours less each day on Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday; 2 hours less on Thursday; 1 hour less on Sunday.

The consensus among filmgoing friends is that, for the money, TIFF aren't offering much in return other than reductions in ticket prices.

This is really too bad -- hopefully TIFF'll come to its senses before too long and realize that they need to draw in people more proactively.

To be honest with them, nobody even knows that they are welcome in the Lightbox. It seems to the entire city that it's a place for a once-a-year festival, and for celebrities and hard-to-get-access VIP events.

They have done very little to show us-- especially young people and students--- that it's open to the public.

To be honest with them, nobody even knows that they are welcome in the Lightbox. It seems to the entire city that it's a place for a once-a-year festival, and for celebrities and hard-to-get-access VIP events.

They have done very little to show us-- especially young people and students--- that it's open to the public.

It seems hit-or-miss. When I went to see the Tim Burton exhibition in December, it was packed - the entire ticket sales lobby was one long, snaking lineup, mostly comprised of young people and students (of the pale-skin-and-tousled-black-hair variety, natch). But my office had their annual employee meeting in one of the cinemas there last week and it was deserted.

Can't even begin to express how disappointed i am they stuck this building where they did. I'm an active festival goer...have been for about 8 years, but i really don't want to trek down to that location to see a movie. Would have killed to have had this building in the Yonge/Bloor area. I'd be in there every week. Don't know if i'll ever get down there except for the annual festival.

Can't even begin to express how disappointed i am they stuck this building where they did. I'm an active festival goer...have been for about 8 years, but i really don't want to trek down to that location to see a movie. Would have killed to have had this building in the Yonge/Bloor area. I'd be in there every week. Don't know if i'll ever get down there except for the annual festival.

Funny... I feel the exact opposite.

You make it sound like it's on the other side of the city. It's at King and John. You can get there from Yorkville by transit in 15-20 minutes max. If that's too far for you to travel on a regular basis than you must live in a pretty small bubble.

I'll be seeing several of the noir films, starting next week. Still haven't bothered to see the Tim Burton exhibition, though I've been a member since December 1st ( hint: if you're buying a membership purchase it at the beginning of the month since it runs until the end of the same month the following year ). Why is it running for so long? There can't be that many 20somethings around.

In addition to the various cutbacks ( the cuts in the reference library hours is particularly odd since - according to my friend who goes there often - they only recently got the private viewing booths up and running ) they're doing silly things like showing three Tim Burton movies as part of a free weekend that patrons had to pay up to $12 to see just a couple of months earlier. It doesn't exactly make you want to shell out for a few popular films if you think you'll soon get to see them for free.

Back