Both terminus stations nearly done, most track laid, stops getting final touches. Could we see the line open early next year?

I drove along Finch from the 427 to the 400 two weeks ago and while there's incredible progress (and it will surely open sometime next year), I'd be cautious about using the word 'early'. On the west end, poles are up, but catenary wire is not yet strung, lots of trackbed to still be leveled, all surrounding curbs, roadwork and landscaping to be completed, etc. It's progressing marvelously, but there's still a ton for Mosaic to do.

I posted these in the Finch West LRT thread. From the 16th:

IMG_1692.jpeg
IMG_1694.jpeg
IMG_1698.jpeg
IMG_1691.jpeg

Building could be ready but there's no way it will be in operation. Lots of work along the line to complete first. And then they need to test it. The yard at Jane is ready but line work is still underway between the two.

There's no line 5 on the Crosstown station entrances either. Heck, not even a TTC symbol, even though it will operate the service. I know it's not built by the TTC but it's an official line on the TTC map. Very frustrating.
Without the circle with a number it in, or a red shield and wings logo how am I going to know what this is? For all I know this could be a trap!! It could be a transit operation run by some shady transit agency and it might be line 13 and 13 is an unlucky number damn it! No way I'm going on line 13!! Fool someone else with your signage!

I should also point out that Humber College's facilities page mentions that the station will be complete by "Sunday, December 31, 2023," which seems awfully specific. Based upon appearances, I think the building could be complete by then (at least the exterior and paving, etc), but I doubt service will start at that point.

I wouldn't read too much into anything saying December 31st as a specific date, it's often used as a placeholder, being the end of the year and all, but otherwise agreed that the building might be done by then, yet no one will be using it until sometime in 2024 (at least).

Seeing as the construction of the line is hopefully concluding within the next year, what do you all think the chances of an extension announcement prior to the next provincial election are? I could easily see the relatively cheap extension to Pearson being thrown into Ford's campaign transit plan, albeit taking a back seat to the big ticket items like Sheppard West, OL North/West. Considering the line won't struggle with the frequency issues built into the crosstown a few years of good service will likely have the neighbourhood jumping for the extension south, and maybe east to Yonge if Ford really wants to reward his base.

I would expect an extension to Woodbine once Woodbine gets the new GO station underway. Airport extensions that actually reach the airport from Eglinton and Finch West rely on the GTAA solidifying and funding a transportation hub plan which the pandemic put on ice. With traffic restored hopefully the GTAA will be able to get back to figuring out their ground side strategy. The biggest obstacles are not city or provincial ones I think... Woodbine plans and GTAA plans need to be locked down.

Back