Does anybody know if it is possible that one day in the future the city might be open to letting that corner be developed? Would it be possible to knock down that podium without affecting FCP?

September 24 Pictures

I just walked past FCP and see they are in process of removing two vertical strips of marble panels from the west side. Looks to me like this is where they will install the supports for the moveable work platform. Seems to be moving right along.

From today around suppertime:

3951964284_bc8e1a03e7_b.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/3951964284/

3951964352_7d1ddf85e4.jpg

http://www.flickr.com/photos/41002894@N07/3951964352/

The stand-out Star building replaced a row of Georgian/Victorian buildings that were part of the more modest and neighbourly streetscape of an earlier Toronto. That plot of land has seen several built generations, each expressing different values, and continues to evolve. I recall a sense in the early '70s that with this 72 storey tower and a planned second one to the west of it we were getting our own version of the New York World Trade Centre; it was all terribly big league - we'd got a Mies and a Pei and now we were getting this sleek white needle.

I think there's a bit of a difference between modest early Georgian/Victorian buildings and a 300' deco skyscraper. In a city that doesn't have much height from the prewar/deco era, the Star Building's loss is devastating.

http://thestar.com/news/gta/article/700732

Bay Street icon getting a facelift

First Canadian Place will soon be losing one of its claims to fame - its 45,000 slabs of marble cladding are being replaced with made-in-Canada glass

Sep 24, 2009 08:26 PM

Jennifer Yang
Staff Reporter

When First Canadian Place was built in 1975, owner Paul Reichmann boasted of the tower's record-breaking attributes: it would be the tallest bank building in the world, it would have 93,000 windows, and it would be clad with "16 miles of marble."

"It was a mark of distinction for the building," recalls banker Richard O'Hagan, who worked at First Canadian Place shortly after it was completed in 1975. "The Reichmanns made a virtue of bringing the marble from Italy."

And that's exactly what they did, shipping in 45,000 slabs of Carrara marble weighing about 350 pounds each. Today, First Canadian Place reportedly sports more Carrara marble than any other building worldwide, and here in Toronto the structure has become a Bay Street icon, an expanse of white stretching 298 metres into the sky.

But on Wednesday, the building's owners announced that First Canadian Place will soon be losing its claim to marble fame - by the end of 2011, Brookfield Properties will replace all 45,000 slabs of Italian marble with white made-in-Canada glass.

"It was clear that the marble curtain had deteriorated," said Tom Farley, president and CEO of Brookfield's Canadian commercial properties. He said the building was acquired for $2 billion in 2005 and at that time, it was already known the marbles were nearing their shelf life.

"We recognize the age of the building, being built in 1975," Farley said. "Since then, there's other buildings that have been built in Toronto that have surpassed First Canadian Place in terms of overall quality."

And certainly, with the TD Centre darkly glowing across the street, Scotia Plaza just around the corner, and a nearly completed Telus Tower glittering to the south, First Canadian Place has really begun to show its age.

Today, its rows of marble tiles resemble something more akin to a smoker's grin: many slabs are blackened and a yellow stain is slowly spreading along some of the seams.

"As you can tell just by looking at it, there are some visual issues," said Stefan Dembinski, Brookfield's senior vice president of asset management in Eastern Canada.

But the problem is more than cosmetic. A notoriously soft material, the marble has weakened from the harsh Toronto winters and in 2007, a marble slab came unstuck and plummeted 50 storeys down. Carrara marble has also been a problem in other cities and in the early 90s, Chicago's Aon Centre - designed by the same architect as First Canadian Place, Edward Durell Stone - also replaced its Carrara marble, to the tune of $80 million (U.S.).

In Toronto, First Canadian Place's facelift is costing at least $100 million, Farley says, with about 65 per cent going towards the façade.

The rest will be spent on other renovations, such as revamping the office lobbies, improving energy conservation in the building, and installing high-efficiency toilets and faucets.

But all is not lost of Reichmann's original vision. First Canadian Place will remain a white building, thanks to the "fritted" glass panels, which have small white particles baked in. A few parts of the building will also be keeping their marbles, including the lobby and the first two storeys of the exterior.

As for the rest of the 45,000 slabs? All of it will be recycled, says Dembinski, either crushed up into rooftop ballast or donated to community art projects.

There's even a chance that one day, anyone nostalgic for First Canadian marble can just visit the beach.

"One of the concepts was it could be crushed up to be used in sand on some of the public beaches," Dembinski said. "It will all get recycled, one way or another."

hmmm, I am not sure about that window count of 93000... Sears / Willis Tower in Chicago is considerably taller and all glass and has only 16100 windows. Perhaps they added one too many zeros...

Thanks for posting the article. I figured/ was hoping The Star would cover the redevelopment announcement shortly.

93000 windows = 1292 per floor (assuming 72 floors) ... :p

9300 = 130 per floor ... still seems high but the first couple of floors may account for a huge amount of these.

here's a couple more images from the Redefining First website that allows you to count the windows on each level of one face. I count 28 across, add 4 more per corner for the notches, times 4 sides = 128 per floor, so your math is right on.

image.jpg

image-3.jpg

eventually to become this: (this closeup looks more like what I'd call bronze rather than the reddish hue seen in earlier images. Sweet!)

image-5.jpg

Last edited:

Back