DSC,
Thanks for the info. I would love to go through the various Building Applications if they are posted online for public viewing. Does anyone have the link for that?

Thanks again
Tee

There are two online files:

Building Permits are at: http://app.toronto.ca/ApplicationStatus/setup.do?action=init

Development Applications are at: http://app.toronto.ca/DevelopmentApplications/searchDevelopmentProjectsSetup.do?action=init
For some reason the default last date on this file is a week earlier but you can change it to today's date.

Enjoy!

DSC

WTF is this nonsense?? Is the car wash owner seriously applying for this, after years of bargaining with the city in good faith for his property? I don't care if it's nothing more than a bargaining ploy - knowing full well the significance of the site and pulling a stunt like that is a slap in the face to Canada's history. People like that disgust me. If I were the local councillor I would have had the expropriation wheels in motion ages ago.

...but not far off from the Clear, Pure, and Good-Hearted Spirits at the Distillery. Surely they won't be allowed to be the only tall and pointy things in the neighbourhood.

The Distillery had (has?) a Master Plan that does allow the towers that are there and in process but it also guarantees the retention of the built heritage. The fact that there are towers there does not mean that there should be 50+ ones on the First Parliament site and is not a precedent.

They were supposed to rezone as parkland, but I believe planning said no.

The City was supposed to by the land in 1998 but that didn't happen either.

They were supposed to rezone as parkland, but I believe planning said no.

The City was supposed to by the land in 1998 but that didn't happen either.

I think it was the Province who were trying to buy the whole site - they managed to get the section where the (now closed) Porsche building is but the car-wash owner would not sell (or not at a reasonable price.) They got the Porsche quadrant because they and the City and the TTC swapped land with him, including the former TTC streetcar loop at King and Parliament.

The City is conducting a study of the whole site right now (see Post 24 above) and I think it is fairly certain that this is what has prompted the bizarre Development Application for 57 floors. It's some sort of bargaining chip but looks like overkill!

^What about expropriation???? Can't the province do that or is that only for certain situations like highways and stuff?

The province could expropriate because of the historical significance. The 57-storey rezoning application is a ploy to make their lot worth more so that they can charge more for it. It's just greed.

The province could expropriate because of the historical significance. The 57-storey rezoning application is a ploy to make their lot worth more so that they can charge more for it. It's just greed.

Right, like you would do differently if it were your property.

This isn't some ordinary site but land with so much history and cultural significance. Such greed is simply means overtly working against the public interest, and not everyone is that greedy.

This isn't some ordinary site but land with so much history and cultural significance. Such greed is simply means overtly working against the public interest, and not everyone is that greedy.

Yeah..but everyone is entitled to market value.and the city cant just be giving peanuts for expropriated property.

The price the government must pay to expropriate IS based on market value. Trying to claim that market value in this case should be based on it being appropriate for a 57-storey tower is ludicrous, obnoxious, and insulting.

There us quite a nice article/rendering of possible commemorative building here: http://www.corktown.ca/dmdocuments/corktowner_winter_2010.pdf NOT the 57 storey fantasy!

Looks nice, but then again im starting to think that this vision of a commemorative building on private property is more of a fantasy than the actual 57 storey..(say they get 32-35 floors put through the city or OMB) structure planned for this location..dont know its a toss-up.:confused:

Back