Isn't the green space on the rendering the Parliament Square green space (and the current bike/walking path)? The drawings show the buildings going right down to Mill St, so looks like they're planning (at least according to this drawing) to take over the Green P as well as the car wash lot.

Isn't the green space on the rendering the Parliament Square green space (and the current bike/walking path)? The drawings show the buildings going right down to Mill St, so looks like they're planning (at least according to this drawing) to take over the Green P as well as the car wash lot.
The Green P north of Parliament Square Park is part of the expropriation (and of the FP site).

For some reason I thought the plan was to add the Green P to the parkland. Maybe that was the plan at one time, or maybe I just made it up.

For some reason I thought the plan was to add the Green P to the parkland. Maybe that was the plan at one time, or maybe I just made it up.
Wishful thinking! Though the City planners were talking about putting the proposed buildings along Front and Parliament so most of it WOULD have been green space in their hoped for plan.

I think roughly half of the things I think are going to be done in this city are wishful thinking, perhaps sometimes prompted by a back of the napkin drawing I've seen somewhere (usually this site).

They didn't read the fine print on this napkin (it says "crystalline glass cladding").

14570397261864a7f1000af06047f0241557fa590975a_copy.jpg

Link

I think knowing this city, that’s why I’m skeptical about any and all transit plans. Oh, what’s that? Ontario Line is DEFINITELY happening because they clear a site you say? Cute. Oh, they dug a hole and you don’t think they’d EVER just fill that in again? The whole project is fully funded and planned with environmental assessment and there’s no way they wouldn’t go through with it??

there’s reason to be skeptical

Infrastructure Ontario Holding Open House on First Parliament Site Development Plan

On Monday September 27, Infrastructure Ontario will host a virtual open house on the Transit Oriented Development plan for the Corktown station area, which includes the historic First Parliament Site. This meeting is an important opportunity for the community to weigh in on the proposed development and loss of critical parkland and heritage interpretation opportunities at this historic site.

In January, the City learned that the Province of Ontario had initiated expropriation proceedings for the First Parliament Site lands owned by the City of Toronto, near the planned Corktown Station of the future Ontario Line subway. I am deeply concerned by the potential risk to this important historic site and city-building project.

Located at the intersection of Front and Parliament Streets, the First Parliament Site is a full city block, bounded on the west by Berkeley Street and on the south by Parliament Square Park. These lands are a site of local, provincial and national significance. Following thousands of years of human activity and use by Indigenous communities, in 1797 the site became the location of the first purpose-built buildings to house the Parliament of Upper Canada. After its destruction by United States forces in the War of 1812, a Second Parliament building, followed by a district gaol (jail), and then the Consumers' Gas Company buildings occupied the site.

Years of community advocacy, championed by the late Deputy Mayor McConnell, led to the uncovering of the archeological heritage at the site, and the lands were later secured into public hands by the Ontario Heritage Trust and the City of Toronto.

The First Parliament site was to be developed for a mix of public uses in partnership with the Ontario Heritage Trust. The First Parliament Project team has engaged stakeholders and the public, and has completed a Heritage Interpretation Strategy and Master Plan implementation framework for the vision. City Council has approved a new district library for the site, and new park space, commemoration of the heritage of the site, and new public use opportunities are envisioned.

Infrastructure Ontario's development submission for two major blocks at the future Ontario Line Corktown station will be presented at this open house. Notably, the plan removes public lands that were zoned as Park by the City and replaces them with high intensity development. In this parkland deficient area, the site was intended to provide critical new green and open space to contribute to a livable community as new development proceeds. The removal of parkland and the opportunities for appropriate heritage interpretation is a key consideration as compared to the City's Master Plan for the site.

Successful city-building requires collaboration between government partners, working together on shared objectives. I will continue to work with Councillor Wong-Tam, stakeholders, and the public to secure the goals that our community and leaders like former Deputy Mayor McConnell have envisioned for this important site, and urge you to make your views known at this upcoming open house.

Corktown Transit Oriented Community Open House

Date:
Monday, September 27, 6:30pm

To Register: https://engageio.ca/en/engagement-initiatives/corktown

....... and now, in the (maybe) better late than never world. http://app.toronto.ca/tmmis/viewAgendaItemHistory.do?item=2021.MM36.23

City Council consideration on October 1, 2021
Notice of Motion
MM36.23
ACTION​
Ward: All​
Local Planning and The First Parliament Master Plan - by Councillor Kristyn Wong-Tam, seconded by Councillor Joe Cressy

That is rather pathetic - taking one's sweet time and looking impotent when finally reacting to a horse leaving the barn situation.

AoD

Last edited:

Infrastructure Ontario Holding Open House on First Parliament Site Development Plan

On Monday September 27, Infrastructure Ontario will host a virtual open house on the Transit Oriented Development plan for the Corktown station area, which includes the historic First Parliament Site. This meeting is an important opportunity for the community to weigh in on the proposed development and loss of critical parkland and heritage interpretation opportunities at this historic site.

In January, the City learned that the Province of Ontario had initiated expropriation proceedings for the First Parliament Site lands owned by the City of Toronto, near the planned Corktown Station of the future Ontario Line subway. I am deeply concerned by the potential risk to this important historic site and city-building project.

Located at the intersection of Front and Parliament Streets, the First Parliament Site is a full city block, bounded on the west by Berkeley Street and on the south by Parliament Square Park. These lands are a site of local, provincial and national significance. Following thousands of years of human activity and use by Indigenous communities, in 1797 the site became the location of the first purpose-built buildings to house the Parliament of Upper Canada. After its destruction by United States forces in the War of 1812, a Second Parliament building, followed by a district gaol (jail), and then the Consumers' Gas Company buildings occupied the site.

Years of community advocacy, championed by the late Deputy Mayor McConnell, led to the uncovering of the archeological heritage at the site, and the lands were later secured into public hands by the Ontario Heritage Trust and the City of Toronto.

The First Parliament site was to be developed for a mix of public uses in partnership with the Ontario Heritage Trust. The First Parliament Project team has engaged stakeholders and the public, and has completed a Heritage Interpretation Strategy and Master Plan implementation framework for the vision. City Council has approved a new district library for the site, and new park space, commemoration of the heritage of the site, and new public use opportunities are envisioned.

Infrastructure Ontario's development submission for two major blocks at the future Ontario Line Corktown station will be presented at this open house. Notably, the plan removes public lands that were zoned as Park by the City and replaces them with high intensity development. In this parkland deficient area, the site was intended to provide critical new green and open space to contribute to a livable community as new development proceeds. The removal of parkland and the opportunities for appropriate heritage interpretation is a key consideration as compared to the City's Master Plan for the site.

Successful city-building requires collaboration between government partners, working together on shared objectives. I will continue to work with Councillor Wong-Tam, stakeholders, and the public to secure the goals that our community and leaders like former Deputy Mayor McConnell have envisioned for this important site, and urge you to make your views known at this upcoming open house.

Corktown Transit Oriented Community Open House

Date:
Monday, September 27, 6:30pm

To Register: https://engageio.ca/en/engagement-initiatives/corktown

Is the presentation deck available yet?

The Councillor has commented on some aspects.

Back