Whatever the plan is, I hope the idea of the 1 storey interpretive museum/pavilion gets scrapped and some more diverse uses are proposed. This should at least contain some kind of housing or office space.

Whatever the plan is, I hope the idea of the 1 storey interpretive museum/pavilion gets scrapped and some more diverse uses are proposed. This should at least contain some kind of housing or office space.
Interestingly for me, this is one of the rare sites that I don't think housing is necessary. I'd love to see a combination of flagship library (toronto reference library level), park, museum, and amenities.

Love the idea of a library but this is one of the most park and amenity rich areas in the city, I should know as I live pretty close to the site!

Not sure how a museum would be viable here - is there real interest in a space wholly dedicated to the topic of the site's history? Is there a way that history can be more elegantly woven into the site though art or design? The block is almost as large as the west don lands block 3 & 4 and it just seems like a massive waste to not pursue some kind of housing use for the site.

I live just a block over so I get your point but there is plenty of housing being built in the area. I think this is a unique site that requires a unique use of it. I think a flagship library and other amenities help empower everyone in the neighbourhood. This is even more important in a mixed income neighbourhood like ours.

I think they should rebuild the historic buildings to their original design as part of the interpretative centre. However, I wouldn't be opposed to other uses at the site if they were harmonious with the intent to commemorate the history of the site.

I just struggle with the idea that folks in an area in such close proximity to St Lawrence Market, Corktown Common and the Distillery district somehow need empowering - again, the idea of a flagship library is awesome, but it's really not like this area is somehow lacking in urban amenities that are a source of pride. This is a city owned block (so far) and it just feels like a good chance to add some more dedicated affordable housing to the site through a partnership with a local provider

I love affordable housing and grew up in affordable housing myself. However, this site is quite unique both in terms of footprint and historical significance. I feel that housing isn't the call in this particular site. This neighbourhood could really use a "focal spot" that comprises the aforementioned library and other amenities. A housing first approach would take away from that vision. Again, just a personal take :)

I just struggle with the idea that folks in an area in such close proximity to St Lawrence Market, Corktown Common and the Distillery district somehow need empowering - again, the idea of a flagship library is awesome, but it's really not like this area is somehow lacking in urban amenities that are a source of pride. This is a city owned block (so far) and it just feels like a good chance to add some more dedicated affordable housing to the site through a partnership with a local provider

A large chunk of the St. Lawrence area includes co-op, and rent-geared-to-income housing. It's not all affluent middle or high income folk.

A library is free; it offers key supports to many communities including, but not limited to, English as a Second Language, Immigrant supports, literacy programs, and job-searching assistance.

Not to mention being a source of free internet access, knowledge, study space and entertainment.

None of which precludes considering housing at the site; but the dismissive notion that the current library which is over-crowded, under-resourced and has been promised to be replaced for more than a decade is somehow a frill is not reasonable.

The area is also very short of park space.

Housing is extremely important; particularly of the rental/affordable variety.

But ought not to be given priority on every single site, as-of-right, but considered in balance with the broader needs of the community.

Did you miss the part where I said I loved the idea of a flagship library? I'm just saying there's no reason it couldn't be part of a larger building with more uses like 299 campbell! I was just under the impression that the "focal spot" of this area was the distillery district, but I guess I am mistaken?

Also short of park space feels like a stretch to me, considering the site is a short walk from corktown common, the waterfront, and literally fronts david crombie park

Did you miss the part where I said I loved the idea of a flagship library? I'm just saying there's no reason it couldn't be part of a larger building with more uses like 299 campbell! I was just under the impression that the "focal spot" of this area was the distillery district, but I guess I am mistaken?

Also short of park space feels like a stretch to me, considering the site is a short walk from corktown common, the waterfront, and literally fronts david crombie park

Sigh.

299 Campbell is holding a tiny library, the current Perth/Dupont Branch.

David Crombie Park is the school yard for Market Lane Public School.

Corktown Common Park would be an easy walk for a young, able-bodied, adult; but is a material distance for many residents, including the disabled, the elderly and young children.

Your preferences are fine, such as they are; I respect differing view points; but very much disagree w/your overall thrust here.

Last edited:
I was a member of the project advisory group on the Master Plan and though I have not seen the final version the City and the consultants were about to unveil, I can certainly say that one major component of the site was (is?) to be a District Library to replace the St Lawrence Branch. This is in the TPL 5-year plans and is really needed. I do not think that there have been (recent) discussions about a 'museum" rather
the talk has been of some 'heritage displays" within the Library and possibly affordable or supportive housing on top of it. Most of the site was then to be open space, possibly with the outline of the First Parliament buildings as part of the park. I must stress that design of the open space is NOT certain but there was never any doubt that the District Library would be on the site, probably at the north (Front street) edge as that section is quite contaminated and is not suitable for open space.

Back