The area is not bad for parks (we live here with a toddler, so make good use of them, from St. James to Corktown and Regent Park to Sugar Beach). But with the subway coming there is going to be massive amounts of development all around, and saving a block like this for park uses seems prudent so you don't end up paying $100M later for land to build a small park on like the City had to do in the Entertainment District.

excited to hear that the library is indeed confirmed - the current one is pretty drab and barely visible from the street so having a commitment to something larger here (maybe even with supportive housing included on top!) would be awesome. I'm sure greenspace will absolutely be included here, I just think we can afford to include some housing units here too. Again, the whole lot is massive - I have no doubt they can accommodate multiple uses on the site and still provide meaningful outdoor space for the public.

Last edited by a moderator:
We use the old little library at Sherbourne a lot (even in lockdown!), and would love to see a new big one in the neighbourhood, but there's no way that will happen before our little guy is all grown up and out of the apartment, even if this land is not expropriated.

There should be a statue of Simcoe at the site.

Alternatively, an obelisk or any decorative sculpture could be at the site.

I would love to see a landmark on the site of the first parliament.

I agree that there should be an emphasis on high-quality civic space here given the civic significance of the site.

We use the old little library at Sherbourne a lot (even in lockdown!), and would love to see a new big one in the neighbourhood, but there's no way that will happen before our little guy is all grown up and out of the apartment, even if this land is not expropriated.

Projections at TPL currently peg the Library opening for about 2029.

Though it's also under-the-line in the latest Capital Budget.

But that changes year to year as things are shifted forward and back in time.

1614177711069.png

Reactions: DSC
Perhaps if we make our voices heard, the province can undertake a civic project (e.g. rebuilding the heritage buildings for a museum and library) after the construction of the subway. It's a matter of provincial history, after all.
This civic project would create a tourist attraction for tourists to visit Toronto.

The First Parliament site and the Distillery District being close to each other would make a great walking tour of the early history of Toronto.

Last edited:
This civic project would create a tourist attraction for tourists to visit Toronto.

The First Parliament site and the Distillery District being close to each other would make a great walking tour of the early history of Toronto.
I forgot to mention that it would also be great for locals to learn the history of the city, especially given how condo developers keep demolishing relics of the past with approval of Doug Ford.

I forgot to mention that it would also be great for locals to learn the history of the city, especially given how condo developers keep demolishing relics of the past with approval of Doug Ford.

"History" must be one of the many classes that Doug Ford skipped when he was in high school (allegedly).

There should be a statue of Simcoe at the site.

Alternatively, an obelisk or any decorative sculpture could be at the site.

I would love to see a landmark on the site of the first parliament.
John Graves Simcoe would be a good idea for a statue and commemoration. In addition to founding Toronto and being Ontario (Upper Canada)'s first lieutenant governor, he was also an abolitionist who legislated the Act Against Slavery in Upper Canada, and later had a significant role in the Haitian Revolution in helping prevent French forces from retaking the island and reimposing slavery at a shaky point in that revolution.

Back