The surgical removal of the back of that building makes me sad, I thought more of the warehouse was being saved than this. This is still a great project though and I would like to see more like it.

The builders of these warehouses would probably be shocked at the expense that contemporary Torontonian builders are budgeting for preservation: these are warehouses after all, and although lovely in our eyes, probably never envisioned as enduring the ages. The demolition of the warehouses in the Queen West-Sudbury triangle made me a bit sad (loss of all that context, railways tracks and all), but as they were steel-post-and-beam they were also never intended as edifice.

5 December 2011--what's the point of keeping this facade? Almost seems silly imo...

049ya.jpg

It does suck but the area needs to be excavated so it all had to come down. Once the new building starts to go up the original bricks will be reused to rebuild the rest of the warehouse, mostly along St. Nicholas Street.
[Edit: the renderings suggest that the sides of the three warehouses will be rebuilt along St. Nicholas Street but using the same or similar brickwork as the 5-9 St. Joseph Street warehouse]

Last edited:
Is this development getting an additional 5 Floors? I might have seen something to that nature on SSP.

By androiduk back in October

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started
TORONTO ON M4Y 1Z3

Ward 27: Toronto Centre-Rosedale
Application#: 11 301044 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Oct 28, 2011
Project: Multiple-Use Building Addition
Description: Proposal to construct a 50 storey mixed use building with a 5 storey below grade parking facility, a ground floor and mezzanie commercial level and the residential above. Convenience address:606 Yonge street, 5-9 Joseph Street and 11-19 Nicholas Street.

Nicholas did get their extra floors.

Five never inspired quite the same level of neighbourhood acrimony as Nicholas did. I suppose that as it's more than a block south, Five is just removed enough from the cottages on St. Nic to have escaped the local whirlwind.

Yet this will be the building that casts shadows, albeit briefly, on the residents along St. Nicholas St. not the Nicholas Residences. I wonder if the St. Nicholas condo fight just wore the group out and discouraged them.

The last comment was absolutely right. We were worn our fighting St Nicholas. We won at the C of A hearing - and they didn't get their floors but we ultimately settled at the OMB so in the end they did get their floors.

In my view this is practice of asking for extra floors really undermines the whole planning process and the Committee of Adjustment also expressed some reservations about this practice (not on ours but on another application).

I have to give credit to Five developers as they took the effort to preserve some of the heritage buildings (where as the old mill building on St Nicholas was originally going to be demolished by the developer) and the developers of 5 do seem to have tried to scale the height back away from Yonge Street. Nevertheless I really don't see why they need more floors. Its big enough. This is simply greed.

Back