I don't get why they couldn't use the old designs, but with the cloud white glass wrapping around the warehouses... It easily could have worked well.

Global TV article

mirvish-gehry-may-27-2014-1.jpg

City staff said while the project is still large and will have a significant impact on the city, they believe it will be a positive impact.

“I will be recommending this project and thrilled to do so,” said Toronto’s chief planner, Jennifer Keesmaat, on Tuesday.

Well this is depressing, but I can't say I'm surprised. I wish Mirvish would just bypass the City altogether and fight for the original proposal at the Board.

You lost your grand podium - but in its place, we will place some umbrellas! Exactly what this city deserves.

The loss of the billowing glass sheets on the podium is unfortunate but to be honest I was sceptical that they would ever be able to pull it off. The luxury condo market in the city is tapped out, so if this project were to ever sell enough units to actually get built it would have to target the mid-market buyer. Just speaking economically, there's no doubt that this project would have to be cost engineered down from the initial pie-in-the-sky models, and those kinds of flourishes are often the first thing to go. I'm actually heartened to see that the designs look much more like something that could realistically be built. Architecturally speaking I need to see some clearer renderings before making a judgement on the new design.

On the bright side, I love that we'll get to keep the Princess of Wales. When the theatre crowds are out and about it adds some real charm to King Street.

I'm glad some of the heritage buildings were saved, and the two towers still look fairly tall, but what happened to the designs? These aren't nearly as complex or interesting as the original model. That big white tower was my favourite and now it seems to be gone entirely.

These compromise solutions never end up serving anyone too well. I'd rather they just re-built the old historical buildings in another location so we could get the complete Gehry vision. It's not like we don't take down large buildings already, only to rebuild them: Bay-Adelaide, Concourse Building, etc. Not to mention our attempts to incorporate old buildings into new towers often look absolutely stupid: RCMI, that condo on Bloor near Varsity, etc.

I'm also concerned about the designs being watered down, but that seems to be what happens when you let bureaucrats meddle. Why have a Maserati when you can have a Lexus? Still nice, but what a shame.

Last edited:
On the bright side, I love that we'll get to keep the Princess of Wales. When the theatre crowds are out and about it adds some real charm to King Street.

I'm with you there, I really like the old tower designs, but did want to keep the warehouses and the theatre, as I do love that stretch of King. So it's a win on that front at least.

^^ Oh dear. What could have been. Damn you Keesmaat!

Well this is depressing, but I can't say I'm surprised. I wish Mirvish would just bypass the City altogether and fight for the original proposal at the Board.

Agree. This is one of those instances when it's hammered home hard that we're just not 'there' yet. There are still far too many people struggling to adapt to the global metropolis Toronto is morphing into. They still think they're living in a giant Ottawa. Their voices will get quieter as the years pass, but it's maddening nonetheless. Toronto just isn't ready for the big time quite yet.

Maybe in 2030 when a new generation of Torontonians enter positions of power. Dear oh dear oh dear. D I S S A P O I N T E D.

Last edited:
I would not blame the new designs on the work done to get the city and the neighbourhood committee on board (as design was not an issue for either party). I suspect also that the final designs will be the best that economics can provide in any event. I have faith in Mirvish and Gehry in that regard.

But I wonder what happened to the OCAD and gallery space?

I much prefer the old design. It added colour and abstract design. This isn't bad, especially since the theatre was saved but i am disappointed.

Last edited:
I would not blame the new designs on the work done to get the city and the neighbourhood committee on board (as design was not an issue for either party). I suspect also that the final designs will be the best that economics can provide in any event. I have faith in Mirvish and Gehry in that regard.

But I wonder what happened to the OCAD and gallery space?

Sorry, I just finished the Globe piece and realized that both the gallery and OCAD will still be part of the project, albeit probably in smaller forms.

^^ Oh dear. What could have been. Damn you Keesmaat!

Agree. This is one of those instances when it's hammered home hard that we're just not 'there' yet. There are still far too many people struggling to adapt to the global metropolis Toronto is morphing into. They still think they're living in a giant Ottawa. Their voices will get quieter as the years pass, but it's maddening nonetheless. Toronto just isn't ready for the big time quite yet.

Maybe in 2030 when a new generation of Torontonians enter positions of power. Dear oh dear oh dear. D I S S A P O I N T E D.

We've got a Gehry-designed supertall on our hands that has planning staff support and all you can do is complain? I'm generally with you when it comes to being pro-height but your expectations are so out of whack with reality that it's verging on the absurd.

Back