Oh I know - but Toronto has so many examples of nice conceptual towers by decent architects ruined by value engineering, spandrel and cheap looking curtain walling. Just afraid of the same thing happening here! Yes, I know Great Gulf isn't the worst culprit of this...

(as an aside, it's becoming common in London to mandate architect retention clauses into the Planning Permission - ensuring that the design architect delivers/co-delivers the approved design - rather than it being handed off to a firm that cuts costs to the bone to make money)
We could do with something like that here. And how.

Blue glass angled in different directions and polished stainless steel, both intended to catch light differently and twinkle. Sounds good to me!

86AC1AA8-3FB1-43F1-BE85-5F4C07F22E6B.jpeg

F97134C8-A0C0-4FCF-A3F8-74D93A464C30.jpeg
6C1FA018-F207-4F75-936D-8D9093F4712E.jpeg

source: Gehry Partners, LLP via Alex Bozikovic on Twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
Blue glass angled in different directions and polished stainless steel, both intended to catch light differently and twinkle. Sounds good to me!

View attachment 299184
View attachment 299185

Funny that the renders put curtain wall on PJ Condo’s south side, curved glazing on Metro City Hall, and some curtain wall on Festival Tower! If thats part of the project, then count me 200% in 😂

Last edited:
it does look taller. but it is the new design. + has anyone noticed the canopy(s) on the entrance?
View attachment 299194

From the article:

“But a related element at the base remains: A pair of canopies of textured metal, which stretch out from the two buildings to frame Duncan Street.” (So, basically - a fancy awning is what remains of that design element.)

The article still lists one tower at 266m and the other at 308m; some renders look deceiving in that they’re almost the same height.

At any rate - I’m glad the project appears to be inching forward. Supposedly sales to start in 2022.

It’s down to material and execution here, I guess.

As excited as I am by this development, it feels like the boy who cried wolf. Media articles, press releases, and photo ops over the years, but nothing seems to actually be happening especially when the design keeps changing so drastically at every turn, after every "announcement".

Forgive me if I've lost faith and say, wake me up when actual work happens.

If these were the original renderings, I think we all would've (and I say this politely as possible) creamed ourselves.

The article makes it clear there were cost concessions, but the end result is something with a Toronto feel, in the best possible way.

There's a sculptural quality that feels very intentional.

I'd like to see more of the base. So far that seems like the biggest disappointment/downgrade.

i know it's kinda downgraded but the materials are still pretty good. i like what is see. tbh i was never a fan of the last design either. i always loved the design of the 3 tower proposal.
i'm still happy that Toronto is getting a supertall and a skyscraper with some nice materials and decent details.

Back