More renderings! Courtesy of the newsletter. The last two are wallpapers you can now download

building-models-sky.jpg

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.49.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.49.22 PM.png

Attachments

• building-models-sky.jpg
    building-models-sky.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 1,828
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.49.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.49.10 PM.png
    392.5 KB · Views: 1,791
  • Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.49.22 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-10-31 at 4.49.22 PM.png
    468.7 KB · Views: 4,140
I think I like him even more now, good for him for his response to a downright stupid, thoughtless, and insulting question. Personally, I wish there were more architects like him. I find so many of our skyline just so blah. No design, nothing that sets it apart from the rest. We have far too many generic glass and steel boxes, without a hint of individuality. I know it all boils down to beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, but aside from the Ice condos, the L Tower, plus a few other, our ever expanding skyline is in desperate need of life! Something that tastefully stand put from the rest, and adds a new dynamic to so many cloned towers, but that's just me, I'm sure many would disagree.

I really liked the old design especially the middle building that's shaped like the academy award statue and the cloth vale look for the podium. That would work well the entertainment district. I think these two buildings need some serious tweaking! Making a 92 and 82 storey boxes can make or break the area.

I think I like him even more now, good for him for his response to a downright stupid, thoughtless, and insulting question. Personally, I wish there were more architects like him. I find so many of our skyline just so blah. No design, nothing that sets it apart from the rest. We have far too many generic glass and steel boxes, without a hint of individuality. I know it all boils down to beauty is indeed in the eye of the beholder, but aside from the Ice condos, the L Tower, plus a few other, our ever expanding skyline is in desperate need of life! Something that tastefully stand put from the rest, and adds a new dynamic to so many cloned towers, but that's just me, I'm sure many would disagree.

I love seeing all the high rises when I drive on the Gardiner but it's also the worst. Not only are they same shape and approximate size, but they'll all the same friggin' colour! Like, come on! Make one of them yellow or something. :mad:

I really liked the old design especially the middle building that's shaped like the academy award statue and the cloth vale look for the podium. That would work well the entertainment district.
I'd think this kind of cheesy metaphor laughable, but Gehry does it himself. He's from Canada and still his idea of reflecting Canada is a hockey rink (the AGO) or a waterfall (this building). That said, I think this has a lot of promise, depending on how the materials, the glass and the metallic surfaces, contrast.

It would be interesting if they jazzed the whole structure like the top of the building from the ground up. Adding more twist to the look!

I'd think this kind of cheesy metaphor laughable, but Gehry does it himself. He's from Canada and still his idea of reflecting Canada is a hockey rink (the AGO) or a waterfall (this building). That said, I think this has a lot of promise, depending on how the materials, the glass and the metallic surfaces, contrast.

I would like to see him use aluminum foam which he is a big fan of. It's a product made by a company in Mississauga. Now that would make everything stand out during the day and would look awesome when lit up at night. I can't wait until this project breaks ground!

http://www.mri.gov.on.ca/obr/2012/07/the-silvery-seduction-of-aluminum-foam/

In a recent interview, Gehry says that...

(...) the details – and perhaps more than that – are likely to evolve. This is typical; he famously works and reworks each project as long as possible. “We’re just starting, really,” he said, smiling. “We have the scheme, but we’ll see.”

http://www.theglobeandmail.com//news/toronto/as-prodigal-son-looks-to-leave-his-mark/article21501114/?cmpid=rss1&click=sf_globe

Gehry is really eager to build a masterpiece in Toronto and he won't let city bureaucrats get in the way. Then we have Mirvish who has confessed is feeling old and looking to leave a visible legacy in Toronto. We have an eager artist and a rich investor, both dedicated to making their mark.

While the mass of the buildings may remain the same, a lot of Gehry's signature flourishes are yet to come. Then we have the complete unknown, the gallery atop the warehouse on the corner of King and John. In the model, there's a box placeholder. Do we really think Gehry will just plop a box on top? There's an opportunity for something spectacular there and given that the gallery will house Mirvish's collection, I think we have good reason to be optimistic.

Last edited:
From what I've seen, the gallery and the condos are separate projects. Even more so now that the Princess of Whales theatre and warehouses are staying put. The first phase will be the East tower that will house OCAD with condos above. The West tower will be sold and built next. The gallery is independent of both.

So since the museum will be treated as a project on its own, there's reason to believe that it could be subjected to fundraising. If that does well, who's to say that it won't increase in size to the original 60,000 sq/ft? Gehry has done some creative conversion projects. It's completely plausible that we could get something like this:

52485838833d724bc28o.jpg

Blow the top off the warehouse, restore its brick, build a beautiful skylight with a centre courtyard and galleries hosted on rooms in the perimeter.

Last edited:
Since there's a debate whether to tear down the wearhouse part of the new development. Maybe they should refurbish the facades keeping the outside looking historical. Then gut the insides creating an atrium on the inside that's four to five storeys high equivalent to the buildings. Make the original modern entertainment idea of the cloth like podium on the inside of the atrium for people to enjoy. Keeping the windows clear on the outside of the buildings so you can view what's inside of the wearhouse atrium. You got the best of both worlds ! P.S. The Alexander theater is to stay untouched !

Back