Ya, I see that weird crooked-looking building in front of the FS all the time! It's SOOO unusual! But it's also new, only a few years old I think. I've heard the owner of the penthouse is some super rich guy that's STILL decorating/painting/renovating. If you look up from the street you can actually see this rather stunning glass ceiling that looks up into the sky in the penthouse. I find it intriguing, but not particularly beautiful.

Back to the Four Seasons now...When is this thing gonna top off? It seems like it keeps going up, up, and up! The glass is looking quite stunning, but so is its height!

18 February 2011--an historic day in my life, as now 4$ is the tallest building in Yorkville from mpov! And btw, also the best-looking tower under construction from my superficial pov!

028urbandreamer18feb201.jpg

Huh? It was practically completed in 2k10. (Though interesting point in its coming off retro-Brutalist in that picture.)

And remember that its form is in part a creative piggyback gesture atop the "Philip Johnson" Torno penthouse...

Wow how embarassing. I was actually referring to this one:

trashh.png

from today
20110212059.jpg

Beautiful pic! Well done! The first thing I thought of about this was remembering when I was 19 and living downtown...the only buildings that stuck out and made everything seem tall and "big city" in midtown were Manulife Ctre, Bay Tower, CIBC bldg and I think it's the Hyatt (it was the Plaza 100). What a difference 30 years makes! All of what we can see and what we can see under construction....PLUS.....to add to this.....U condos, the buildings on St. Mary's and St. Joseph, the buildings coming to Charles, Exhibit, the Canadian Tire site, the Yorkville, the Ridpath's bldg., Cumberland Terrace and One Bloor.......the "Yorkville" node already looks better than most North American city skylines in terms of density....I wish Traynor could work his magic on this pic and put them all in.....I can't believe the difference since 1981!!!! Wow...I was born here, when the tallest buildings were the Royal York and the old Bank of Commerce tower......as a kid of 9, I can remember my great grandmother taking me downtown to go up the newly constructed TD Centre to the observation deck and thinking that the city was amazing then....looking at the CIBC tower (steel skeleton framing still) with a banner put up by the construction workers saying "Now, we're No. 1!) HAHA....what seemed so significant then, seems like a footnote now.

Last edited:
Wow how embarassing. I was actually referring to this one:

That's what I thought you meant by your description. This is Renaissance Plaza, built in the early 80's by Bramalea Ltd. I believe. I don't mind it, it serves the corner well and I like how Church of the Redeemer was retained at the corner. The bottom 9 floors are offices and it's luxury condos on top which are stunning.

18 February 2011--an historic day in my life, as now 4$ is the tallest building in Yorkville from mpov! And btw, also the best-looking tower under construction from my superficial pov!

028urbandreamer18feb201.jpg

How did you get that effect? The sky is fantastic, the silhouettes cutting. Love this - would sell in a gallery.

Feb 23 views from various location. You can see the baby from Dufferin and Bloor now and are the last 2 photo's. Photos will be up on my Flickr site in a day or 2 and part of the 352 photos I shot today.
[video=youtube;2P3pXMVO9wY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2P3pXMVO9wY[/video]

Maybe I should put this image on ebay--make a bit of $ to pay for a better camera? $150/print ($10PSF), signed by me?

Don't laugh. Properly mounted and of the right size in a photo gallery, something like this could easily fetch over $1500+. If you had a better camera, the interest would be lost as it would be too clear, too exact, too representational. But ebay? Never.

Back